white spots on aluminum fence

We have a new, black aluminum fence. Portions of it have what looks like soap residue on it - white blotches. What is causing the spots? Is the fence material inferior?

Reply to
havin_aball

Could be dried water spots, try moving the sprinkler.

Is it powder coated or anodized or painted or vinyl coated?

Reply to
PipeDown

Aluminum oxide is white and powdery. Paint over it.

Reply to
HeyBub

if it's bare aluminum, what you're seeing is aluminum oxide. Aluminum doesn't rust like iron, but it DOES oxidize. I'm guessing you have aluminum that's anodized to give it the black color rather than painted and that the anodizing has some small defect areas or pinholes that aren't covered. You might try to get some warranty from the installer (or supplier if you installed it yourself).

Reply to
louie