whirlpool tub grounding question.

I am installing a new whirlpool bathtub at my girlfriends place and was checking things out. The electrical is gfi'd in the panel and has a dedicated 20 amp circuit feeding it - so far so good.

In addition, the old tub had a big ground wire run from the water valve to a ground strap on the motor assembly. My Jacuzzi and pool pump all have a separate ground run from the panel to them.

This motor does not have a provision for a ground strap anywhere on it. The difference is that all the other assemblies I have wired are hard wired. This one has a molded three prong plug on it.

I was wondering if I should jury rig something to ground it to the motor somehow, or maybe to the junction box that it plugs into (Of course the junction box is already grounded from the panel). To me it just seems like an extra safety precaution that could not hurt.

Comments?

Reply to
BSAKing

I recently encountered the same dilemma. I told the owner to contact the manufacturer for guidance as that is what the electrical inspector will follow. I don't know what the final outcome is as of yet.

Reply to
John Grabowski

It's fine. The motor will be grounded through the plug. On your pool and Jacuzzi, there's no need for the #8 solid bond to return to the panel either. All the metal parts associated with the pool have to be bonded together

Reply to
RBM

That's what I thought on the installation that I mentioned. However the inspector wanted a bonding wire, but I had no idea where to connect it. Much of the housing was plastic. I ran the wire to the water pipe and put a ground clamp on it and brought the other end into the access hole and left it hanging.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Typically you have a metal pump with a ground fitting and maybe a few other metal parts with fittings, and they all come bonded together. We bond the water pipes to them, and we're good. I think the manufacturers are constantly trying to find ways to eliminate the expense by using plastic everything, and by doing so, confounding the inspectors. I figure, if it has a U.L. label, and you follow the manufacturers wiring instructions, if any, you're done. I would use a steel box for the outlet and attach the bond from the pipes to it.

Reply to
RBM

If the pump says "double insulated" it won't have a bonding lug and there is nothing on it to bond.

Reply to
gfretwell