Whirlpool clotheswasher with mold smell--please help

Hi-- I have a top loading Whirlpool clotheswasher with a very strong mildew/mold smell. It is one of the "self cleaning" types that doesn't have a lint filter.
We have had it working very well for about 8 years, this smell is something new in the last two years.
The service people (Best Buy contracted out) have taken the top off, used a coathanger or needle nose pliers to clean out gobs of mildew rotted lint near the outside/top area of the wash basket. It's between the outside of the basket and the inside of the side of the (plastic sleeve around the basket ?). It's not accessable without taking the top/sides off the machine.
Then the smell comes back in a month. This is something new, the last couple years.
They said to fill the tub up full, add buckets of very hot water to fill the tub up almost full, then add bleach and cycle the machine. But not too full, as it will slosh out.
I have no idea what "not too full" is. Vague----
Any ideas on this? I'm about ready to get a new machine! It stinks up the house with mildew smell really bad. It never did this before---
Thanks-- Ron

outside
machine.
What they removed was an accumulation of dead skin/body oils/dead hair from clothing. Shouldn't cause a smell..but.... I once had to remove a load of gunk like that, stunk the place out. Turned out the lady's husband worked in the marine/offshore business, washed his diesel soaked overalls in the machine. I understand he now goes to the laundromat :-) Could this be what you have going on?

fill
Just run a hot cycle, add some bleach or use the automatic dispenser if your washer has one. That way, the machine won't overfill or splash over. Set your water level to about 75-80% full. No need to fill it using buckets.
One other thought - are you sure the smell is actually coming from the washer? It could be from the drain, I've ran into that before.

If the unit was under warranty, it was likely the appliance manufacturer's local authorized service depot. Best Buy (and most other chain stores) do not usually do their own service on products.

Often we find those areas can get caked up with a bit of lint but mostly undissolved detergent and fabric softener (which can smell horrible). If left long enough I guess it could get moldy? Leaving the lid open between washes may help.
Such a build-up is usually caused by using too much detergent and/or fabric softener and/or washing in water *not* hot enough. There usually isn't too much which can be done to remove it without dismantling a large portion of the washer to get at it.
BTW. Such service is *not* usually covered by a washer's warranty because it is not caused by a defect in the machine but rather improper usage by the user(s).
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Whirlpool+washer
=~~~~~~
By running a bleach load once a month you are treating the symptom. Take apart the washer and remove whatever is rotting. After washing a load of clothes I keep the lid in the OPEN position to allow the tub to dry. Mold and mildew can't grow in a dry environment.

Hi,
Some smelly washer tips and helps... http://www.applianceaid.com/washer_odor.html
jeff.