Whilst falling back this weekend

That really reminds me of a story I read in school, about a poor woman preparing for winter. She found that her blanket was too short, and couldn't afford a new one. She sewed some material on one end, getting that material by cutting it off the other end. She could never figure out why the blanket was still too short, no matter how much material she sewed on.

DST is like that woman. There's no way to improve one end (sunrise or sunset) without making the other worse by the same amount. The period of daylight is changing in length no matter what self-delusions people impose.

Anyway, that really has nothing to do with what I was saying. Just that DST has no effect on TIME ITSELF. It's simple an artificial construct, and has no reality beyond human society (which is an EXTREMELY SMALL part of reality). I know what it does, and what it doesn't do.

More useful to those unable to adapt their schedules to the world around them.

"A mind is a terrible thing to have..." :-)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

:

Ok, but I like the idea of cutting an hour of light off of 3:00AM=20 and sewing it on to 8:00PM. I'd do it twice, were I king.

THe *measurement* of time is an artificial construct. So? =20

I don't know about you but "human society" is a fairly important=20 part of my life.

Ok. That isn't important? =20

Reminds me of the SNL (IIRC) skit "A mind is a terrible thing". =20 ;-) =20

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

Closer to Moscow, in many more ways than latitude.

Reply to
krw

;-)

Reply to
krw
[snip]

Cutting off some and sewing it on the other end actually makes it SHORTER. Perhaps that's what you want.

It's only the nonsense about changing the measurement changing the thing itself.

I know someone who has trouble with high blood sugar. Some would really wish that meter had a button on it, that would change it to normal. :-)

Humanity currently occupies a small part of this planet (which it has only very limited control over), which is itself an extremely small part of our universe. Human beings have been around for a small part of the amount of time out universe has existed. Then, how would you know this universe is the only one?

It's a comment about the increasing anti-intellectual qualities found in too many people.

Could your news program be quoting sigs when it shouldn't?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Depends on the sharpness of the cut and the stitch used. DST uses very sharp scissors.

It doesn't change time, only our perception of it, which is all that it was ever designed to do.

Denial is a powerful thing.

How much of the "this planet" - "small part" gives a rats ass about DST? That "small part" does care.

...not to mention the look-down-the-nose attitude of the academic elite.

BTW, the SNL skit was a take-off on the UNCF slogan.

Nope. You're including stuff at the end that you didn't snip.

Here is what I snipped (you'll note that it did snip your sig):

"A mind is a terrible thing to have..." :-)

Reply to
krw

If your alarm doesn't have a low battery warning and goes through a battery in a year or less, change the alarm.

Reply to
Neill Massello