Whilst falling back this weekend

Page 1 of 3

don't forget to change the batteries on your smoke/CO alarms.

Rats! I hate losing DST.
I hate the whole spring and fall change. Leave it the way it is.
GWB wrote:

Time to move to Arizona (where they don't use daylight savings time because the days are already perfect).
Jo Ann
snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

I used to have a friend who told me about that. They do things at the right time, rather than messing with people's minds the way DST does.

Mark Lloyd
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:09:43 -0500, Mark Lloyd

I guess when it's 110 degrees, ya kinda hope the sun goes down early. Perfect??
On 26 Oct 2006 14:30:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

It does seem to have one advantage. It makes you set your clocks twice a year, so you get to correct for drift (plugin clocks with battery backup can drift considerably during power failures).
considering that "more daylight in the evening" nonsense, GET UP EARLIER!

Mark Lloyd

I wish they'd do away with the whole stupid thing (DST), and stop playing mind games twice a year.

Mark Lloyd
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:04:14 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Only if they go with DST all year; I'd rather have it half the time than not at all.

It does get 4 weeks longer next year. http://geography.about.com/cs/daylightsavings/a/dst.htm

Again, for no actual benefit, just temporarily increased confusion as people adjust to a change.

Mark Lloyd

So you'd rather have the confusion that comes from messing with your clocks twice a year, for no actual benefit?
There is VERY LITTLE difference between "DST all the time", amid "no DST at all".

Mark Lloyd
snipped-for-privacy@xmail.com0.invalid says...

There is a benefit. In the summer it's not light at 3:00AM. In the winter it is light at 7:00AM.

Bullshit. You apparently confuse easily.
-- Keith

Where do you live, Norway?
@eatel.net says...

Vermont.
--
Keith

Close enough. <BG>
@eatel.net says...

Closer to Moscow, in many more ways than latitude.
--
Keith

What's different is what you CALL 3:00AM. If you don't like it getting light while you're in bed, you could always go to bed earlier (and so get up earlier). That's what you're doing now, just fooling yourself into thinking otherwise.
Why do you think you're changing the Earth's axial tilt by resetting your clock? Apparently, you think writing "home" on a map of Australia is equivalent to moving there. It makes as much sense as this DST junk.

The problem is that I did NOT get confused by this DST nonsense, and you are unable to tell the difference.

Mark Lloyd
snipped-for-privacy@xmail.com0.invalid says...

Well, I'm not a milk farmer, as apparently you are. Where I live businesses run by clocks. Transportation runs by the clock. Work is done by the clock. Perhaps you should simply throw away your clocks if you don't use time. The railroads found standardized time to be quite useful though. DST is simply a method of trying to alight artificial time to natural. Both are useful.

Nope, just moving artificial time zones to be more useful WRT Sol.

Nope, you get confused setting clocks. You mentioned this in this thread.
-- Keith

That really reminds me of a story I read in school, about a poor woman preparing for winter. She found that her blanket was too short, and couldn't afford a new one. She sewed some material on one end, getting that material by cutting it off the other end. She could never figure out why the blanket was still too short, no matter how much material she sewed on.
DST is like that woman. There's no way to improve one end (sunrise or sunset) without making the other worse by the same amount. The period of daylight is changing in length no matter what self-delusions people impose.
Anyway, that really has nothing to do with what I was saying. Just that DST has no effect on TIME ITSELF. It's simple an artificial construct, and has no reality beyond human society (which is an EXTREMELY SMALL part of reality). I know what it does, and what it doesn't do.

More useful to those unable to adapt their schedules to the world around them.
"A mind is a terrible thing to have..." :-)

Mark Lloyd