Which home insurance??

Page 1 of 2
I need to change providers, at my last renewal my rates went up 5% so I want to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due in a month. Is that enough time? Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INSURANCE DEALS :: for your house today!' (http://www.homeinsuroffers.com ) so thought I'd do it all online but would appreciate some recommendations.
--
ChloeP

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:41:02 +0200, ChloeP

I would avoid webpages with names like this. Find a company that will be around when you have a claim. They have webpages too.
On 10/11/2013 7:16 AM, micky wrote:

Agree!
If you're 50 or older, look into the insurance program through AARP.
While I disagree with their stance on many things, I LOVE their insurance through The Hartford. Have both home and auto through them and I cannot say enough good things about them.
Haven't had a claim on the homeowners, but did have a substantial claim on the auto a couple years into my coverage with them. It was handled promptly, fairly and because I'd been with them for 3 years at that time they waived my deductible AND "forgave" me the accident - my rates did not go up.
Their rates have held the line or decreased the past couple of years (and I have a policy with full coverage and high limits).

I would avoid anyone who spams the Usenet. Too bad you fell for it.
On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:42:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Who says I fell for it? I knew the poster (who is no more likely to be named Chloe than I am) was advertising his own webpage. But convincing people of that is a harder task so I gave a reason easier to convince people of to avoid the page.
On 10/11/2013 05:41 AM, ChloeP wrote:

I had a miserable experience with State Farm
try anything else
On 10/11/2013 7:37 AM, philo wrote:

I have had super experience with State Farm for autos, home owners, and businesses. In fact, I emailed them last night about new vehicle insurance and got a reply with the premium amount this morning via email.
Don

State farm is always on the ball when it comes to GETTING your money. You don't know how good or bad any company is untill it's time for them to GIVE you money. Around here (Kitchener Ontario) State Farm has a bad rep from both claimants and shops doing their repairs. Part of it may have to do with the agent, but a large part of it is the corporate culture.
And insuring with a BANK??? Even worse. Daughter's boyfriend had is pride and joy - a MINT Chrysler 300 stolen off his parents driveway, wrecked, and burned. The cops found it before he even knew it was missing and it took OVER FOUR MONTHS to get a settlement. That was with RBC (Royal Bank) insurance. They didn't pay anything close to what it was worth either
On 10/11/2013 4:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Did it take four months to get an offer or to get an acceptable one? Everyone I've ever heard of losing a car says the car was "mint" and it is not. There also is no way to prove it was exceptional once it is burned. To an insurance company it is just another average car with value determined by averages in a book. If your car is exceptional you have to prove it and maybe have a rider.
Very few cars are truly mint and I've never seen a daily driver that was. It is an overused term usually misused.

To get the FIRST offer. For 4 months they were trying to find a way to keep from having to pay.(anything) They knew what condition the car was in.

I drove the car 3 weeks before it was stolen. Not a scratch on it - not a scuff on the leather - you could have eaten off the engine. He's a truck mechanic - and a VERY fussy one.

They had all the pictures. It was show condition

They were trying to prove he had it stolen. Both sets of keys were accounted for, and the insurance co didn't believe the car could be stolen without the key, with the anti-theft system. Turns out there's a code box that can generate the pats code or whatever in a matter of seconds to minutes, bypassing the antitheft system. The poor guy had to drive my wife's old Mystique (which we were ready to scrap) until they paid up - and he bought an old GM Yukon. He decided there was no way he was making payments on TWO cars when he only had one.
On 10/11/2013 11:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That sounds sleazy of them.

That is BS. A pro can take a car faster than most owners can using the key. I've seen it done. If a human can design a security system, another can find a way to defeat it. IMO, you are better off not locking your car as the petty thieves won't damage the windows when they get in your car and find nothing to steal.
On Friday, October 11, 2013 11:24:08 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I was in college I had a Fiat Spyder convertible. I considered what you're talking about, which is even worse with a convertible. They can just slice the top. So, I put an alarm in and always left it unlocked. The alarm went off several times over the years, but they never damaged the car.
On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 07:07:25 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Spyder was a nifty looking car.
My brother had a Chevy convertible. He lost a $5 pair of sunglasses and a $200 top.
Over the years, I've had my car "opened" a few times. Total loss so far is a quart of oil in the back of my Ghia. Couple of other times the junk in the glove box was on the floor. Other cars on the street had broken windows, pry marks on door frames.

I lock the doors on our Mustang, even it we leave it with the top down[*]. ;-)
If the doors are locked with the top down, the trunk-open button doesn't work.
On 10/12/2013 09:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep...I have had my cars broken into a number of times and they took things like my prescription glasses and parking meter change.
Such idiocy.
On 10/11/2013 11:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Towtruck. Flatbed. Car missing in a couple minutes, and no one saw anything out of the ordinary.
On Saturday, October 12, 2013 7:49:12 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You still have the alarm to disable. I think the factory and probably aftermarket alarm systems have a tilt sensor in them now.
On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 07:49:12 -0400, Stormin Mormon

But that doesn't end up (usually) with the car wrecked and burned in a ditch or gravel pit 30 miles away within a couple of hours.
What got the insurance co going off on a tangent is Pete paid more for the car than they thought it was worth, and less than a year later it's a total loss, and he has both sets of keys, and the insurance settlement would ALMOST pay what he still owed (and he made a pretty good down payment). They were thinking "buyers remorse" and "contract disposal" and "insurance fraud" - and wouldn't even consider any other possibilities.
He loved that car almost as much as my daughter, or his kids. That daughter works in the insurance business - and is capable of giving the offending insurance co some serious grief if she puts her mind to it.
On 10/11/2013 03:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yep...they sent a most disgusting agent to my house. Any company that puts that little care in who they sent out into the field will never get my business.

As I understand it, an "agency" is much like a "franchise". Someone with a little bit of money wants to own their own business and decides on insurance - goes to an insurance company and becomes a salesman for that company and then pays for the opportunity to run their own office - as an "agent" for that insurance company.
This is different than a "brokerage" where a company must represent, or handle product from, a minimum of 3, or 5, or whatever number of different companies, and they must be licenced and registered with whatever professional association regulates the business in the state or province the operate in. In Ontario a broker must be a member of the Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario (IBAO), and all sales persons and customer service representatives must also be licenced and certified, which involves training and constant upgrading to maintain the licence.
You might get a "disgusting" broker too - but in most brokerages they get weeded out, or the brokerage doesn't last very long. (some "brokerages" are one or two man operations, like many agencies, and some agency offices are quite large - but on the whole , brokerages are larger businesses than agencies)