Which end of a 2x4 is the top?

Page 3 of 4

krw wrote:

Yep, Just another of those things I had forgotten
Harry K

You don't. You see your right hand and CALL it "left" (see below).

What's actually reversed is the (observer relative) definition of "left" and "right". Notice that if you stand facing a mirror and point to the left with your left arm, and look in the mirror the image there appears to be pointing to the right with its right arm. Notice that both you and the image are pointing in THE SAME DIRECTION and WITH THE SAME ARM.
Looks like some people pay more attention to WORDS than to the actual world around them. Reality consistently fails to do as it's told.
Where the real reversal is, in on the Z-axis (front to back).
As for down, as you travel around the earth (a sphere), "down" is in one of an infinite number of directions.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, the idiots on the site have the image upside down...

that's a good point. I suppose if you really wanted to know which was the top, you'd look at growth ring spacing.
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Exactly, the end of the 2x4 that was closest to the tree roots would be the bottom.
Then again, horizontal 2x4s such as the top and bottom plates, should be labeled "horizontal use only".
writes:

calls it art.
http://www.massmoca.org/visual_arts/visual_arts.html
Happy modeming, Bill
Berkshire Bill wrote:

But he raises an interesting point. Since half of a tree (roughly) is underground, when foresters harvest trees to make lumber, are they not leaving half the wood behind? Isn't this a significant waste of resources?
I could envision a whole new industry: 2x4s made from tree roots would come already bent and twisted - no need for all that labor to do it by hand.
The mind reels at the possibilities.

They're into recycling. The other half of the tree eventually becomes part of new trees.

If HD sells those, do any become unwarped in storage?
(considering the non-zero probability of fixing a malfunctioning TV set by throwing it on a concrete floor)

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On 05 Jan 2007 09:11:52 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

Bullshit does have a bottom. I can see the difference every time I walk around the pasture.

Don't think much of their nails either. Every other one or so, that I pick up has the head on the wrong end. Fortunate for me my carpenter uncle informed me that those odd nails are for the other side of the house. Tommy
snipped-for-privacy@mailstation.com wrote:

LMAO...
snipped-for-privacy@mailstation.com wrote:

It works just like books on a shelf, tilt your head to the right and if the printing down the edge reads the right way, then you have the stud right side up. That is if you are in the northern hemisphere. If you are in the southern hemisphere then it is the other way around.
Ken
Ken wrote:

And just in case you didn't know why books are made that way.....
It's so when a book is lying on a table with its front cover up you can read that printing running down the spine without having to stand on your head.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
snipped-for-privacy@mailstation.com wrote:

It works just like books on a shelf, tilt your head to the right and if the printing down the edge reads the right way, then you have the stud right side up. That is if you are in the northern hemisphere. If you are in the southern hemisphere then it is the other way around.
Ken
snipped-for-privacy@mailstation.com wrote:

The big end is the top. HTH :-)
Bob
Home Depot paints the top end of all their lumber red.

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 23:36:37 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@mailstation.com wrote:

You just have to remember how you pulled them from the rack. -- Oren
snipped-for-privacy@mailstation.com wrote:

You're making the rash assumption that these are "vertical" 2x4s, when in fact they could be horizontals, which are only good for top and bottom plates.
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 01:13:04 GMT, "Bob (but not THAT Bob)"

I can work with octagonal, more difficult than any so far.......even more difficult to find.
-- Oren