Where to store left over bricks

Assembled brick walls are protected from water entry at the top, and open to drain at the bottom - so do not saturate with water - which then freezes.

Reply to
clare

The reference to Efflorescence perhaps? Peculiar to masonry products

Reply to
clare

True it doesn't go into *why* just that you shouldn't store them outside on the ground uncovered which was the point of the thread....Same for an unfinished wall if you read down the page on the link.. Protection of Walls

Rain. Masonry walls exposed to weather and unprotected during construction can become so saturated with water that they may require weeks, or even months (depending upon climatic conditions), to dry out. This prolonged saturation may cause many of the slightly soluble salts to go into solution, thus raising the possibility of efflorescence. Such conditions may also contribute to the contamination of the masonry with soluble salts from elsewhere in the construction (concrete, concrete block, plaster, trim, etc.).

During construction, all walls should be kept dry by covering the top of the wall with a strong, water-resistant membrane at the end of each day or shutdown period. The covering should overhang the wall by at least 24 in. (610 mm) on each side, and should be secured against wind. The covering should remain in place until the top of the cavity wall is completed or protected by adjacent materials.

Freezing. Leaky walls can sometimes be attributed to the freezing of mortar before it has set, or the lack of protection of materials and walls during cold weather construction. Therefore, when building in cold weather, all materials and walls should be properly protected against freezing. This involves the following items: storing of materials, preparation of mortar, heating of masonry units, laying precautions, and protection of work. Technical Notes 1 Series, "Cold Weather Masonry Construction," contains recommendations for construction and protection of masonry during freezing weather. ACI-ASCE 530.1 Specifications for Masonry Structures also has requirements for cold weather construction..

After the wall is done and a sealent applied it is fine ?? I was told by the mason who topped off my chimney to seal it....Perhaps somebody else will chime in as to why....Thanks for the tip on links...

Just practicing...LOL..

Reply to
benick

The "gobrick" in the URL

didn't give you a clue?

Reply to
dadiOH

I didn't bother with the usl. I had made the silly assumption that the poster had quoted relevent material.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

re: "The frenchies in quebec cause quite a stir. "

OK, since I've scored a hat-trick here, I'll tell my story:

1 - My grandfather was French - Canadian 2 - My grandfather was a mason 3 - My grandfather built entire houses from used brick.

My grandfather was a mason in Massachusetts where he helped build the huge brick paper factories in Holyoke.

Back in those days, left over bricks and bricks from demolitions were either free or pennies per hundred.

2 of the houses that he lived in were built from brick that he scarfed up from construction and/or demolition sites.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

replying to AZ Nomad, percentjuice wrote:

percentjuice

I haven't looked at this, but my grandparents had a pile of what I guess were leftover bricks that was 25 feet wide and from zero to 6 feet high. I used to climb on them when I was 6 years old and I think they were still there when I was 50.

Also, the new owners found in the basement a target range. Half of the basement was full height and half just a crawl space, with the targets at the far end of that. I don't think my grand parents had a gun, or knew about the target range, so it was the peopele who owned it before they did, before 1950.

Reply to
micky

In some places they would have disappeared. Distressed bricks are worth good money in the yuppie market.

Reply to
rbowman