Where to store left over bricks

Page 2 of 2

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:56:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Hey, that sounds like a former cinder block shelf for poor students...
aemeijers wrote:

They make lovely shelves....make two or three short stacks, lay a board across, repeat. I used some landscape pavers and rather inexpensive prefinished shelves from HD to make shelves for guestroom...can change layout or add to it if needed.

250 bricks will make a lot of bookshelves. But I can't believe only the "face" is waterproof. Every house I have seen that is brick has not only the face exposed, but also 3/8" of the top, sides and bottom. I would go for a false wall along side an existing basement wall. Find some place to store them, or offer 200 of them for sale on a local bulletin board. Definitely keep at least 50 of them for some unforeseen circumstance.
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 18:32:21 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

It IS true that some bricks are not waterproof on the top and bottom faces, but more serious is water freezing in the "cores" of the brick expanding and splitting the brick. This is a very real possibility when stored outside at or near ground level.
The OP does not specify if they are concrete or clay bricks - and if concrete what type. An autoclaved concrete (man-made stone) brick is a totally different animal than a normal portland cement brick - and even then the aggregate used makes a big difference in how well they stand wet freeze-thaw cycles.
dalemstevens wrote:

Put down some gravel outside to make a "foundation", stack the bricks neatly, leaving a hollowed out area a foot deep. Line the hollowed out area with some plastic, and put some pots in there with flowers.
Remove bricks/reassemble as you need them.
Jon
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:19:20 -0800 (PST), dalemstevens

Stack them against the wall inside the end of the garage, or inside the "fruit cellar" or "cold room" generally located under the front entry, or in some other similar "out-of-the-way" location