Where to store Chemicals: Garage or Garage Attic? Fumes travel down?

We have a garage and lots of good storage in the Garage attic. The Garage is mostly insulated, there is a bit of air leak at the garage door seal and the ceiling is mostly insulated. In the garage attic there is no insulation on the roof side. As just moved in, I am not sure if it gets cold enough to freeze in the attic. I am trying to avoid having fumes from chemicals in the garage, especially since the garage is attached to the house. We don't keep any chemicals in the house, just non toxic type of cleaners. We don't have any outside shed, but I was wondering about storing them in the garage attic. Would the fumes move back down to the garage? Or I assume that it all depends on the type of chemicals. I am hoping that fumes mostly travel up and would escape through t Is there any webs sites out there that would explain some of these issues? I would think gallons of paint are safe if they are closed properly. I would also assume oil is fairly safe. But I have other types of chemicals that I am concerned about like, verso & paint thinner, aerosol spray cans, gasoline, wood stain, wood deck sealer etc. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Home repair
lbbss
On 7/2/2008 9:40 AM lbbss spake thus:

Well, yeah: the first that springs to my mind is a question: why would you have *any* "fumes" from your stored chemicals? If you've got fumes, you're doing something wrong, like not hammering on the lids of paint cans (I see that all the time), not screwing on caps tightly, or just plain storing them in a sloppy, unsafe manner.
If your chemicals are properly stored and looked after, there should be no problem storing them in the garage (assuming you also observe other common-sense precautions, like not storing flammables anywhere near a source of flame like a water heater, etc.).
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I agree that if stored in original containers there should be no fume problem. Storage under ambient conditions is recommended for all household type chemicals or pesticides that I know of and freezing or overheating can cause decomposition, so storage in the attic is out.
"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Agreed and I'll add, my concern wouldnt be fumes but heat. That uninsulated attic if he's in the south is going to exceed safe temps for aerosol cans etc.
Because my garage (attached, not insulated but house on that wall is) is quite hot in summer, we got a simple storage locker on the screened porch for such things as gasoline and spray cans. It's vented and in the shade of the porch. Designed for this type of use, we drilled in a few more vent holes. We dont have many things to store in it, but the garage is hotter than the porch. In winter, we move the stuff to the garage.
Rubbermaid I think it is?
lbbss wrote:

Some move down, some move up. I would store them where they are more accessible in case of a spill or something. It would be easier to clean.
You can always put your chemical cabinet near the edge of the garage and have a vent on it to the outside.
Yes, but as soon as you open the cabinet, the concentrated fumes and bad smells enter your garage, so just as well leave them on a regular shelf.

Concentrated fumes from what? As others have said, if stored and sealed properly there should be NO fumes.

Right, so why does OSHA have requirements for special cabinets with grounds and vents? Seems silly if everything is properly sealed.

That is for flammables in an occupancy that is not really designed for it. (no explosion proof containment for the electrical equipment, dampers on HVAC etc) It is also the reason why I keep all my fuels out in the shed. This is triggered by the amount stored. Your secretary can keep a little bottle of fingernail polish remover in her desk but if you had gallon or two of the stuff (acetone) you need that cabinet.
lbbss wrote:

Fumes do not factor into the storage location if the containers are properly closed.
Physical integrity/environment of the containers is really the only factor to consider: heat, protection from damage, rust, etc. That is, the type of storage is determined by its effect on the chemicals or the chemicals' containers, not the chemicals' effect on you.

I keep gasoline, pesticides and propane in the shed 50' away from the house. I built a little cubby out by the pool for my pool chemicals. Regular cleaning chemicals are in a cabinet with a child lock in the house..
lbbss wrote:

I don't have much of chemicals to store. Whenever I need some, I buy enough to use it up. If I have store it, it's in the tool shed.

So how do you get the vehicle in and out of the garage without without getting the toxic fumes from it in the garage?
How do you get into the house without letting those toxic fumes in?