What would you do?

benick wrote: ...

How in the world did you get that idea? I said nothing of the sort only that if one of the ilk closes so there's another just down the street in larger locations--that's not so in smaller markets.

No, there was essentially every McDoodle known to man; what people complained about was lack of a place/places with amenities.

Yet these sameself time-stressed folks will drive 30-miles each way over staying local? How's that time-efficient, pray tell???

Which is the other fallacy--they didn't _HAVE_ to travel out of town to shop; at least until they ceased to support local merchants that had the same merchandise anyway for which they paid the "privilege" of two or more additional hours on the road, gas, parking, etc., etc., ... Financially, it really makes no sense if one were to actually calculate net, bottom-line cost.

That, too, is generally BS ime -- it takes far longer to tramp all over creation in one of these mega-malls than it does to go to two or three specific places, get in and out and be gone. I can generally go to one of the other stores in town, park, get what I want and be gone in the time it would take to simply get checked out in the Walmart after fighting the mobs and cart jungle in the parking lot plus the runaway kids...

No, they closed early Wednesday afternoon (church night) and all women were expected to "dress" (included the hat and gloves)... :)

Frankly, much would be far better off, undoubtedly, yes. There's little _real_ advantage in hurry-scurry and most folks are rushing nowhere just like they're continuously on the phone for nothing...

Just out of curiousity, what do _you_ consider "a very small town"???

Reply to
dpb

Personally I beleive many local businesses will never be able to compete in a price game against large scale operations. Economies of scale are very biased towards large operations and marketplaces.

The extras that are encompassed in small business pricing are often intangible. Community, personal service, knowledge, etc. We've all experienced the loss of personal service and business integrity that evaporates in an operation that exists by paring costs to the bone.

Whenever possible I give the business to locals, simply because I feel there is value in the extra few bucks that a product or service may cost. I know the biz owner isn't getting rich, but I get a better feeling shopping there than feeding my bucks to the Borg. Call it a concience tax.

I think small businesses will be headed the way of the Dodo as the baby boomers fade. People have made their decisions and are living on artificial wealth, therefore price is king in most marketplaces. Just don't bitch about missing the goold old days once they're gone.

Used to be "Price, Quality, Service - pick any two". Now it's "Price, Quality, Service - try for one".

Oh, and by the way, it's CapitAlism ;-)

Reply to
gwandsh

If Media Ad men had been alive in Shakespeare's time, the quote might read "Let's kill all the lawyers, then get the Marketing guys next".

Reply to
gwandsh

Good choice. I have the exact same situation and have been running tubes in my cracked tired for the past 4 years without problems. And I really load my cart down with sand, dirt, and firewood until the tires run almost flat. I'd estimate 500-600 lbs pulled over uneven ground. I just take it slow & easy. I almost wish they'd blow so I can justify a new cart, but they just keep hanging in there.

Red

Reply to
Red

Maybe not! Buy Flat Free tires at Lowe's.

They work even with a framing nail in the tire.

Reply to
Oren

People also get trapped in the idea that one place is always cheaper and don't bother to validate that. In one recent example, I bought an item at Target for $22.95 and saw the exact same item in the Wal-Mart at the other end of the same shopping center for $29.95.

Reply to
Pete C.

600 people , one general store and post office in the woods of Maine...LOL....
Reply to
benick

But you could do ALL your shopping at Walmart , not so at Target...Time is money....Walmart will MATCH any printed price by the way....

Reply to
benick

No, actually, I couldn't. Walmart doesn't carry much of the stuff I need and Target is a couple buildings closer to the other places I need to shop. All are in the same shopping center cluster so time isn't an issue.

Reply to
Pete C.

I'd be ready to replace them with better quality, but from a cost standpoint and how I used the trailer I'd use the trailer until the tires fall off.

Reply to
Phisherman

Who said that? I simply remarked how many have become trained to follow big box without thinking.

...LOCATION ,

I am not the merchant. I explained the phenomena.

Reply to
George

benick wrote: ...

Kewl...just a tad bigger here; but no woods...

What else does one really _need_, anyway???

--

Reply to
dpb

The first time I have a flat on such a tire it have a tube put in. You are not talking about buying the Taj Mahal and the minor cost is well worth the avoidance of having _another_ flat. Done it on 3 tires thus far (may have been more) and had no more flats on any of them.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

Let's see:

- A welding equipment / gas supplier

- A SCUBA shop

- A metal distributor

- An auto parts distributor

- A power equipment dealer

- A building materials dealer

- A construction equipment rental company

- Etc...

Reply to
Pete C.

Fist you said.. ". In one recent example, I bought an item at Target for $22.95 and saw the exact same item in the Wal-Mart at the other end of the same shopping center for $29.95." Then you said... "No, actually, I couldn't. Walmart doesn't carry much of the stuff I need and Target is a couple buildings closer to the other places I need to shop."

So which is it ?? Do you shop at Walmart or Target ?? Here's what I think....Your first quote was bullshit just to bash Walmart...You shop at Target (who carries much the same stuff just on a smaller scale minus the food and pharmacy )which is fine , but don't make shit up or some , including me , will think you suffer with WDS (Walmart Derangement Syndrome)...

Reply to
benick

When my father in law passed away I started taking care of the place. He had a nice riding lawm more but the tires on it were dry rotted and leaked. Instead of buying new tires I put tubes in them and got nearly three more years of use out of them.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Have your tires foam filled, buy a set of foam filled tires. Probably about $40 each. They weigh a bunch, but last a long time.

Reply to
DanG

No, neither Walmart nor Target carry much of what I need. Indeed both are infrequent stops on my shopping runs. Target seems to have pricing issues as well, while that $22.95 item rang up correctly, another item was labeled something like $90.89 on the top display shelf, $85.99 on the lower stock shelf and rang up at $80.49 at the register.

Reply to
Pete C.

Maybe try searching corrugated closure strips. Something here might work?

Spanky