What would you do?

Page 2 of 2

Fist you said.. ". In one recent example, I bought an item at Target for $22.95 and saw the exact same item in the Wal-Mart at the other end of the same shopping center for $29.95." Then you said... "No, actually, I couldn't. Walmart doesn't carry much of the stuff I need and Target is a couple buildings closer to the other places I need to shop."
So which is it ?? Do you shop at Walmart or Target ?? Here's what I think....Your first quote was bullshit just to bash Walmart...You shop at Target (who carries much the same stuff just on a smaller scale minus the food and pharmacy )which is fine , but don't make shit up or some , including me , will think you suffer with WDS (Walmart Derangement Syndrome)...
Add pictures here
βœ–
benick wrote:

No, neither Walmart nor Target carry much of what I need. Indeed both are infrequent stops on my shopping runs. Target seems to have pricing issues as well, while that $22.95 item rang up correctly, another item was labeled something like $90.89 on the top display shelf, $85.99 on the lower stock shelf and rang up at $80.49 at the register.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Personally I beleive many local businesses will never be able to compete in a price game against large scale operations. Economies of scale are very biased towards large operations and marketplaces.
The extras that are encompassed in small business pricing are often intangible. Community, personal service, knowledge, etc. We've all experienced the loss of personal service and business integrity that evaporates in an operation that exists by paring costs to the bone.
Whenever possible I give the business to locals, simply because I feel there is value in the extra few bucks that a product or service may cost. I know the biz owner isn't getting rich, but I get a better feeling shopping there than feeding my bucks to the Borg. Call it a concience tax.
I think small businesses will be headed the way of the Dodo as the baby boomers fade. People have made their decisions and are living on artificial wealth, therefore price is king in most marketplaces. Just don't bitch about missing the goold old days once they're gone.
Used to be "Price, Quality, Service - pick any two". Now it's "Price, Quality, Service - try for one".
Oh, and by the way, it's CapitAlism ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Old tires will blow on you at the most inopportune times.
Too bad you are so far away. I would just give you my old trailer wheels and tires. They are still holding air, I just don't trust them for highway travel.
Add pictures here
βœ–

HFT, tires from $ 4.99 depending on your axle
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID0
Add pictures here
βœ–

The first time I have a flat on such a tire it have a tube put in. You are not talking about buying the Taj Mahal and the minor cost is well worth the avoidance of having _another_ flat. Done it on 3 tires thus far (may have been more) and had no more flats on any of them.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think I'd start a rubber company and manufacture "Z" rated tires and replace them every 2-3 months for that application. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
βœ–
on 7/28/2009 12:59 AM (ET) SteveB wrote the following:

I would just put the slime in there for now. You're not going to use them on the highway, and if you get a flat, you're no going to have to pull it by hand, like a flat wheelbarrow tire. I'm frugal. I won't buy anything unless I can do it cheaper with what I've got. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

There are solid foam tires in that size.
Sample:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/215554151/PU_foam_wheel.html
Add pictures here
βœ–
That's funny. They are Chinese manufacturers of tires. You probably have to buy 10,000 tires minimum.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Maybe not! Buy Flat Free tires at Lowe's.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId9442-442-00247&lpage=none
They work even with a framing nail in the tire.
Add pictures here
βœ–
If they were mine, I'd go with the tubes. And spray the outside of the tires generously with Armor All, which helps resist dry rot.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

We had an old riding mower with big knobby tires, one of which was flat.
My son bought a cart from HF to tow behind his new mower for neighborhood jobs, but it had very small tires. We took out the reciprocating saw and grinder, enlarged the wheel wells, put some tubes in the old mower tires and put them on the trailer - a much more rugged look.
The tubes/tires have held air for well over 5 years. The cart is getting pretty rusted out, but the old tires are still rolling along.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Ordered two tubes today. They will come in Friday. Tubes and installing in tires ..... $13 plus tax. These don't go over 5 mph.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

Good choice. I have the exact same situation and have been running tubes in my cracked tired for the past 4 years without problems. And I really load my cart down with sand, dirt, and firewood until the tires run almost flat. I'd estimate 500-600 lbs pulled over uneven ground. I just take it slow & easy. I almost wish they'd blow so I can justify a new cart, but they just keep hanging in there.
Red
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd be ready to replace them with better quality, but from a cost standpoint and how I used the trailer I'd use the trailer until the tires fall off.
Add pictures here
βœ–

When my father in law passed away I started taking care of the place. He had a nice riding lawm more but the tires on it were dry rotted and leaked. Instead of buying new tires I put tubes in them and got nearly three more years of use out of them.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
βœ–
Have your tires foam filled, buy a set of foam filled tires. Probably about $40 each. They weigh a bunch, but last a long time.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Maybe try searching corrugated closure strips. Something here might work? http://www.corrugatedmetal.com/accessories/closure-strips /
Add pictures here