What would this JACK be called?

While watching one of those old "Emergency" tv episodes, I saw them using a hydraulic device similar to a "floor jack", but it's a wedge shaped device which expands and will separate or lift things. It will remove a stuck car door, and so on. I could find many uses for that on the farm. It appears it can be used in any position too, unlike floor or bottle jacks which will not work when they are used sideways.

Anyone have any idea what such a thing is called?

Thanks

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Aerial ladder?

Frank

"Jaws of Life"

bob_villa

You're right. Don't know what I was thinking.

Reply to
Frank

"Porta-Power"

Y.W. BTW, E! is one of my favorite shows. When I'm not yelling at the TV. They can read v-fib with nothing connected to the patient, and they spray water without extinguishing the fire. Still, love the show.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"jaws of life" A "porta-power" is a slightly smaller lighter duty version for shop use. You can get spreader heads and all kinds of attachments.

Reply to
clare

They call it the "jaws of life" I always think that' name is overdoing it. On the other hand, at least it's more specific than "Hydraulic Equipment" and shorter than anything else they'd come up with

That Harbor Freight one is for autobody work, and iiuc not all of that. It's about 1/8 the size of what the fire department uses to open up car wrecks. It's manual, not gasoline powered for one thing. But it's a lot cheaper too and it might work for you.

Reply to
micky

Although the "jaws of life" ia a tool I have seen used on that show, which is a POWER device, what they were using in the show yesterday (ME-TV) was a single MANUAL tool, similar to one of those smaller 3 ton floor jacks sold almost everywhere, but it had two wedged shaped tips. As he pumped it, it lifted a large object off a person. It did not have a hose attached to another piece. What I am looking at, on harbor fright site is called

(quoted from ad)

7 Pc Hydraulic Auto Body/Frame Repair Kit Pittsburgh Automotive - item#60726 Handle auto frame repair with this complete hydraulic frame repair kit Only: $249.99 Sale: $179.99

That's getting closer, but that is NOT the same.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Pretty amazing to see how the "bread truck" ambulances and "tool truck" emergency vehicles have morphed from what they were back then.

That's what the firemen and the EMS folks call them and you would, too, if they managed to rip you out of a smashed car with gasoline spilled all around you ready to ignite. And I imagine they do that a dozen times or more each day with the accident rate what it is. They take a special skill to use because under dire circumstances speed is of the essence. But placing them incorrectly can result in the patient being injured even more when the metal finally "gives" and tears apart. It would be great if someday you could just ask Google:

How many people owe their lives to the 'jaws of life'?

I'll bet it's enough to populate a small city, especially since modern cars are designed to give up energy in a collision by crushing.

Google's still got a ways to go . . . All that turned up the was remotely relevant was:

Pretty interesting stuff.

Reply to
Robert Green

Robert Green posted for all of us...

The "Jaws of Life" was a trademark by Hurst Corp. which was developed and used in auto racing and crash extrication. It was heavy and vibrated like heck when run off the gas power pump, which was notoriously hard to start and required much maintenance. The motor noise and vibration would put victims into a panic state unless crews were well trained. One could pinch their finger off between the jaws when the jaws were let down. Later came electric pumps. It was a major advance over the porta power eq. mentioned. The porta power stuff was used in the construction industry and adapted by the fire service. The alligator jaws mentioned were very weak and if not operated correctly would break during an evolution. Very hard to pump and cheater bars were used sometimes. The pump had to be operated against a solid surface such as asphalt. They sometimes wouldn't work if the reservoir was above the pump. Also short hoses... Would NOT cut through the A pillar of a car. Now air bags have become common and useful.

Gotta go...

Reply to
Tekkie®