What would this JACK be called?

While watching one of those old "Emergency" tv episodes, I saw them using a hydraulic device similar to a "floor jack", but it's a wedge shaped device which expands and will separate or lift things. It will remove a stuck car door, and so on. I could find many uses for that on the farm. It appears it can be used in any position too, unlike floor or bottle jacks which will not work when they are used sideways.
Anyone have any idea what such a thing is called?
Thanks
On 4/8/2015 6:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

http://www.piercemfg.com/en/trucks/aerials.aspx
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 5:03:24 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

"Jaws of Life"
http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x430/BenDarrenBach/SYS03DBPic.jpg
On 4/8/2015 6:24 PM, bob_villa wrote:

On 4/8/2015 6:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

"Porta-Power" (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Y.W. BTW, E! is one of my favorite shows. When I'm not yelling at the TV. They can read v-fib with nothing connected to the patient, and they spray water without extinguishing the fire. Still, love the show.
On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 17:02:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

A "porta-power" is a slightly smaller lighter duty version for shop use. You can get spreader heads and all kinds of attachments.
On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 17:02:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

They call it the "jaws of life" I always think that' name is overdoing it. On the other hand, at least it's more specific than "Hydraulic Equipment" and shorter than anything else they'd come up with
That Harbor Freight one is for autobody work, and iiuc not all of that. It's about 1/8 the size of what the fire department uses to open up car wrecks. It's manual, not gasoline powered for one thing. But it's a lot cheaper too and it might work for you.

Although the "jaws of life" ia a tool I have seen used on that show, which is a POWER device, what they were using in the show yesterday (ME-TV) was a single MANUAL tool, similar to one of those smaller 3 ton floor jacks sold almost everywhere, but it had two wedged shaped tips. As he pumped it, it lifted a large object off a person. It did not have a hose attached to another piece. What I am looking at, on harbor fright site is called
(quoted from ad) 7 Pc Hydraulic Auto Body/Frame Repair Kit Pittsburgh Automotive - item#60726 Handle auto frame repair with this complete hydraulic frame repair kit Only: $249.99 Sale: $179.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-hydraulic-auto-bodyframe-repair-kit-60726.html
That's getting closer, but that is NOT the same.
--
The best way I can explain what they used, would be one of those small
floor jacks, but rather than wheels on the bottom, there was a lower

Robert Green posted for all of us...

The "Jaws of Life" was a trademark by Hurst Corp. which was developed and used in auto racing and crash extrication. It was heavy and vibrated like heck when run off the gas power pump, which was notoriously hard to start and required much maintenance. The motor noise and vibration would put victims into a panic state unless crews were well trained. One could pinch their finger off between the jaws when the jaws were let down. Later came electric pumps. It was a major advance over the porta power eq. mentioned. The porta power stuff was used in the construction industry and adapted by the fire service. The alligator jaws mentioned were very weak and if not operated correctly would break during an evolution. Very hard to pump and cheater bars were used sometimes. The pump had to be operated against a solid surface such as asphalt. They sometimes wouldn't work if the reservoir was above the pump. Also short hoses... Would NOT cut through the A pillar of a car. Now air bags have become common and useful.
Gotta go...
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*