What would make a good insulating material for a water bed?

Page 2 of 2
Metspitzer wrote:

Where is the temperature set for the heater and what is the room temperature she feels is too hot?
The heater is heating the water in the bag so if the room is too hot the heat is coming from the bag itself. Frankly, I can't imagine that happening. We keep our water bed in the low 80s in the winter; in the summer, the heater doesn't even function as the ambient temperature is sufficiently high already.
Insulating the heater will do no good; the opposite, I imagine, as it will just be on longer to maintain the bag temperature. About her only solutions are to turn up the AC or lower the heater (bag) temperature.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Bob F;3069982 Wrote:

No, she needs to insulate to reduce the rate of heat loss from her body to the water.
Then, the bed won't feel cold to sleep on when she turns the temperature of the water down.
And, a lower water temperature will reduce the ambient air temperature in that bedroom, which is the problem the OP is trying to solve.
--
nestork

On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 18:01:49 +0200, nestork

Usually both. In the winter, you don't necessarily want to heat the room from the waterbed so you keep a blanket and maybe heavy bedspread on it. Most people keep the water in the 85 to 90 degree range to feel warm.
On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:23:22 AM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:

est of the house. I suggested that she take a blanket and put it under the fitted sheet and try to turn the heater down a few degrees. She says that e ven with the blanket, if she turns the heater down any the bed is too cold.
It's been a while since I had one but if my memory serves me I was able to lower the thermostat a few degrees by placing a thick blanket on the bed be fore putting the sheets on. Can't say I was ever very good about making it up though and I don't remember it making the room warmer. But it was just a bedroom and I didn't use it except at night. It might be worth trying a 1" thick piece of memroy foam under the sheets.

With an IR thermometer you could tell what you need. I would stay away from the white foam. The green or pink extruded will insulate better and have stronger support.
Greg

with the water bladder in it - quite effective