What type of spray for Carpenter ants?

Page 2 of 2

I'm glad I did.
We went through the money wasting call in the professionals phase. All they want to do is get you on their schedule of periodic treatments. A total waste of money.
Finally I took a flashlight up in the eaves and discovered I had a roof leak running down some wood and into the wall. The place was teeming with carpenter ants.
We fixed the roof leak and the ants were gone. We did not spray to get rid of them.
But based on the OPs description of the size of the ants, I don't think this is a case of carpenter ants.
--
Dan Espen

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 05:54:58 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Find the mother ship nest and kill it. They may set up smaller nests all around the house but I bet somewhere nearby, outside, there is a huge nest. I bet it is in the mulch around the house if you have that. Otherwise look for some other big pile of rotting organic matter.

recent storm. Actually, there was not too much wind, but the tree snapped about 15' up. I hired a guy to come out and remove it all. He found that the tree had been struck by lightening some time in the past, probably before my house was even built 3 years ago. But, the carpenter ants move into the lower part where the lightening had done its damage. The tree was about 50' from the house with a small creek dividing the tree and the house. Earlier this year, in the spring, we would occasionally see one in the house. Probably road the dog in .... or one of the humans. Just after the tree was removed, there were hundreds (maybe 1000s) of them scurrying around on the tree side of the creek, all trying to save the nest. They were carrying the larva from the nest. They didn't know where they were going, but they instinctively knew to protect the babies. I sprayed that whole area with Talstar and I haven't seen one there since. I never really saw any quantities on the house side of the creek. I sprayed a line on the house side of the creek, just in case ... not too near the creek .... didn't want to contaminate the water, but I realize anything you spray anywhere will probably end up in the water somewhere, someday.
Killer spray.

Art,
Lightening is what Michael Jackson did to his skin. Lightning is what hit your tree.
Bob H
On 8/12/2012 10:18 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

here, "impordant" instead of "important" I'll stop misspelling. On 'nuclear', I've heard professional announcers and even a former President (no, not Carter) say "nuc-e-lar" and it drives me nuts. A former L associate, that mispronounced 'nuclear' found, in the dictionary, that either was ok (oh, for the spelling nuts, it's spelled okay). I couldn't believe that people mispronouncing a word would make Webster cave. BTW, when typing lightening, it looked wrong, but I couldn't figure where to go with it, so I let it slide. Thanks, Bob.
I thought is was "nuke - you - ler"?
I don't shave while looking in a "meer".
When the phone number is "four oh five", I dial #4, and then letter O (which is on number six) and then #5. O is a letter, it's not a zero.
There is no dot key on my computer. Websites can be period com, or point com. But, I don't have a dot key.
Yup, but when people stop saying "nuc-e-lar" for"nuclear" and down here, "impordant" instead of "important" I'll stop misspelling. On 'nuclear', I've heard professional announcers and even a former President (no, not Carter) say "nuc-e-lar" and it drives me nuts. A former L associate, that mispronounced 'nuclear' found, in the dictionary, that either was ok (oh, for the spelling nuts, it's spelled okay). I couldn't believe that people mispronouncing a word would make Webster cave. BTW, when typing lightening, it looked wrong, but I couldn't figure where to go with it, so I let it slide. Thanks, Bob.
four oh five is short for four, zero, five just think contraction, or implied, like 'o replaces zero.
I only mention this because for some reason my brain does not accept the word zero well. You say a string of numbers I remember them, but *if* in the middle of that string; you use zero instead of oh for naught, brain resets and the whole string is lost.
Like fighting dyslexia. aware, must concentrate, but would rather relax and have people use oh for zero, only if it's the letter 'o' then point it out, otherwise oh in a string of numbers is zero and oh in a string of letters is the letter 'o'
So think kindly on others who may have the same mental weakness and 'need' people to accept oh for zero.
...and top posters. :)
On Aug 13, 5:55am, "Stormin Mormon"

re: "So think kindly on others who may have the same mental weakness and 'need' people to accept oh for zero."
I don't see how we can accept oh for zero. There are just too many places where confusion will reign.
Just one example...
"What the serial number of the device, please?"
"JW0453"
If I say Jay Double-U Oh Four Five Three instead of Jay Double-U Zero Four Five Three, things could get very confusing, very fast.
I always use, and I wish everyone else would too, the NATO phonetic alphabet that I learned in the Coast Guard many years ago. It should be taught in school and in industry and used by everyone.
"What the serial number of the device, please?"
"Juliet Whisky Zero Four Five Three"
That's next to impossible to confuse with:
"Juliet Whisky Oscar Four Five Three"
More often than not, when I use the NATO phonetic alphabet, there is no confusion when I spell a word or rattle off a serial number. On rare occasions, I get something like "Was that J as in July, W as in Watermelon, etc?" I usually just shake my head and put up with it.
What's easier to say and understand?
"DerbyDad03 - Delta Echo Romeo Bravo Yankee Delta Alpha Delta Zero Three"
or
"DerbyDad03 - D as in David, E as in Echo, R as in Remember, B as in Boy, Y as in Yankee, etc, etc, etc."
On 8/13/2012 8:55 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

wrong, IMO.
I've had good luck with liquid ant bait from www.gardensalive.com
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn 95