What tool for for framing strips in basement?

I am going to be fastening 1x3 treated wood strips to cement block walls for a base to attach drywall to.
Question one is what is a good power tool for doing the job? I have used a remington tool where you load it up with a nail and shell and hit it with a hammer and it shoots the nail into the wood. This was secure the bottom board to the cement floor and the nails had collars on them. I am looking for something to get the nails flush with the wood strip so that the drywall will be flat against the strip.
Other question is should I consider using construction adhesive for attaching the drywall to the furring strips? A lot of adhesive's claim to be the latest technology and an alternative to nailing or screwing drywall. What do you think?

    For this application, I would use concrete screws. In my experience they work well and are easy to install.

Concrete screws work well but you get very tired drilling those holes and you will go thru a lot of carbide bits. However, the powder-actuated driver is not a good choice for cement block, so your only real alternative is Tapcon screws. Just be sure to drill the holes deep enough. If you drill into the mortar joints it is really not that bad, and the load on the strips is not that great, just drywall.
I think construction adhesive is fine but you will still want to use some screws (1 1/4"), at least enough to draw the drywall up flat to the furring strips.

in the house I just had redone do to fire it was nailed and glued