What to do with the rises?

Hi,
I'm about to sand and finish a bunch of stairs and I'm wondering whether I can do reasonably do anyithing interesting with the rises other than paint them white. My concern is that if I finish them in the same way as the treads it'll give it an undesirable ski lodge feel.
Maybe there's a website with pictures where I could get some good ideas?
Thanks,
Aaron Fude
Wouldn't you stain the whole lot ? White risers (and treads) would scuff up a lot, no ?

also have a carpet runner up the middle. Most houses built in last 30 years don't even have hardwood on the stairs- they assume from the get-go that stairs will have W/W carpet. I prefer hardwood stairs, but I hate vacuuming. Note well that you do not want a gloss finish on the treads- very slippery when walking the stairs in stocking feet.
aem sends...

I don't ski, but most stairs in private homes have both the tread and risers the same. No need they must be. What do you like?

The all white would be too much for me too unless there was a carpet runner. My friend stined the treads and painted the risers. ballisters are white , handrail is stined.....NICE.