What to do about this stone?

Hi,
Remodeling my kitchen, have part of what used to be an external wall (before a prev owner built an addition) exposed. It looks like this:
http://freeboundaries.com/stone.jpg
I would like to leave to fix it up and leave it exposed. Can I, who has not masonry training, do something about making it look more presentable? (I have a big pile of matching pieces of stone.)
Many thanks in advance,
Aaron

Cover it with 1" stone might be ok, right now what you have is a mess I would probably drywall.

Looks like crap as it is. Your best bet would be to apply some of the thing stone facing that is available. goes on like tile and you can grout it to make it look the same as thick stone.

Looks like rubble as is.

I don;t know what he means by "fix it up". It sure is rubble now. I was expecting to see some 200 year old stone wall. What is there is worth less than zero. I'd cover it up, either with drywall or stone veneer, etc.
Just out of curiousity, why didn't you continue the kitchen cabinetry to the end of that wall? Seems like its going to be dead space anyway, and you could have just covered up that stone wall with a sheetrock wall and the cabinets.
On 1/17/2009 5:12 AM Ed Pawlowski spake thus:

Wait, not so fast: I agree with HeyBub that it might be possible to incorporate this bit of exposed stuff into the finished kitchen. Notice I said "might be".
From the picture, it looks like the top part is stone and the bottom part brick, with a bunch of cement in the stone part. Is that correct?
If so, you might at least try doing some patching before giving up and covering this all over. You could either try to find some small stones to fit the gaps and mortar them in, or just use patching cement to fill these spaces up.
It might look cool. I remember seeing a house featured in House Beautiful years ago where the designer had intentionally taken all the door casings off of all the doorways and just sealed the exposed rough openings (it was an old house with plaster walls and high ceilings). Your first reaction might be "that would look like crap!", but it didn't; looked good. (Not for all tastes, I realize.)
So if you're inclined that direction, I'd at least try to finish this little exposed column. If you mess it up, no harm, no foul, just cover it with drywall or whatever.
--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,
Aaron Fude wrote:

Heck, I'd try. An interior stone wall would be cool.
The trick, I'd think, would be to not try to make it look too good. A primitive, rough, look would have more character - and make the whole project ever so much easier.

If you have no masonry skills , how in the world are you gonna fix that MESS up good enough to leave exposed? I'd just cover the whole mess up with drywall and be done with it...I'd be more concerned with those spikes sticking down through the plywood on the roof ..Also , you may want to consider some rafter vent , insulation and 1X3 strapping(16"OC) on the ceiling before you go much futher with the drywall.You shouldn't break drywall butts in the middle of the bay either...Just a thought....
benick wrote:

Heck, if Bill Gates can live in a cave, what's wrong with something that looks like a mine shaft?