What to consider with artificial stone

After 22 years in a T1-11 sided house I'm tired of staining every 5 to 7 years - not to mention that I'm pushing the 60th birthday mark. I was looking at the artificial stone displays at the home show and liked the stacked stone look. I thought I'd post a couple of questions for the combined inowledge and wisdom of this NG before I start shopping.

  1. Is it worth wrapping the house in Tyvek before the stone is laid?

  1. Is there sufficient R-value in the thin foamboard such as used under vinyl siding to warrant use under the stone?

  2. What the heck am I forgetting that I should know to ask the suppliers/ tradesmen?

Heck, kick in any of your experiences, good or bad, with this sort of project. TIA, Chuck

Reply to
C & E

Greetings,

I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you that if you want to know how long it will take to the foam-board to pay for itself you can figure it out.

a) figure out how many heating degree-days there are using google in your area b) compute the R value of your existing walls where they will be covered c) compute the number of BTU/year you lose through your existing walls d) compute the R value for your new walls with and without foam e) compute how many BTU you would save per year f) determine your cost per BTU of heating (probably just cost per BTU of gas times heater eff) g) determine how much money per year you would save from BTU/year saved and cost per BTU

Please also consider what happens if you sell your house, the cost of interest, etc

Good Luck!

Reply to
William.Deans