What size inverter

Page 1 of 2
I would like to know what size inverter would be required to run an electric chain saw that uses 120 volts and 10 amps. I have some trees down in the woods that I need to cut up. I can get the tractor to them and would like to know what size inverter ( how many watts) do I need to run the saw. Thanks for any info Herb
volts times amps equals watts. 120 x 10 = 1200.
Larger inverter than that may be needed. Keep the 12 volt cables as fat, and as short as possible. Run more 110 volt AC power cord if you need to.
I would like to know what size inverter would be required to run an electric chain saw that uses 120 volts and 10 amps. I have some trees down in the woods that I need to cut up. I can get the tractor to them and would like to know what size inverter ( how many watts) do I need to run the saw. Thanks for any info Herb

That 1200 watts is running wattage. You'll need a higher capacity inverter to handle the start up.

But, starting up under no-load should be so short a time that the inverter should be able to handle a 1-second surge. They are always rated for both peak and steady-state load, and a 1200 watt unit should have at least a 10% overload factor that will get the chain saw running easily as long as it is under a no-load start-up. Now, if the saw binds, you could easily go over the 10 amps / 1200 watts for several seconds. Most likely, the invertor will not blow up, but will either shut down or blow a fuse.
Most inverters have a dual rating, run watts and startup surge.
That 1200 watts is running wattage. You'll need a higher capacity inverter to handle the start up.
On Mar 6, 5:45pm, "Stormin Mormon"

I have a Redi-Line that has 1600 continuous output watts and 2400 surge output watts. I bought it back in the late '90's and it was around $2,000. I would suggest that the OP buy a gas powered chainsaw.

Yeah, an el-chepo. NOT a Redi-Line 1600 watt electric generator.

When people use the term inverter today for this kind of application I think few people would equate that with a motor-generator set that was common 50 years ago. Solidstate inverter technology has been around a long time and clearly is what is suited to the application in question. Call it cheap if you like, but it works, is proven and reliable. I sure wouldn't buy a heavy, bulky genset to run a chainsaw when I could buy a small light solidstate inverter. When I pulled up a pic of one of these Redi-Line things I had a good laugh.

I had a solid-state inverter made for "professional use" before I bought the Redi-Line and it was far from reliable. This was for WORK and I needed something that wasn't going to crap out every 2-3 months. So I went to my supplier and ask what was the best inverter made. That is how I ended up with the Redi-Line. Used it almost everyday for 5 years and never had ONE problem. It's a beast! It's sitting in my garage and still works fine. I just used it a few months ago when my power went out.
I wasn't suggesting that the OP go out and buy a Redi-Line, I was mainly replying to the surge comment(s). Those are the only 2 inverters that I've ever used. If those inverters that look like car amps work like you say they do, then good. I'd still put my Redi-Line up against any of them AFA, performance, reliability, and longevity.
On 3/6/2012 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:

The Redi-line is a high quality, expensive beast, and for your purposes was probably the best choice. That type of quality and expense isn't always necessary. I've had an "el cheapo", 1200/2400 inverter in my work van since 2006. I use it every day to charge cordless batteries, and to power all the small power tools I use albeit for short periods of time. These include angle grinder, sawzall, circular saw, 1/2" angle drill and pistol drill. For $100 the Op certainly could get something adequate to power his small chain saw.

Good to know. What brand is it?
On 3/6/2012 10:02 PM, Ron wrote:

Here is a link to it, as it resides behind the passenger seat of my van:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uWA7HpUsl4_WOc-gv9yehdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
This one is Coleman, but I've seen extremely similar units with a variety of names
On 3/7/2012 6:40 AM, RBM wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uWA7HpUsl4_WOc-gv9yehdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
Very cool installation, I'll bet not many folks recognize the yellow bushing in the wall. ^_^
TDD

I'll bet you're right
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q 00+watt+Redi+Line+generator+&oq00+watt+Redi+Line+generator+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm&gs_upl(39l8870l0l10891l32l32l1l18l0l1l174l1217l10.3l13l0#hl=en&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=Redi+Line+generator&pbx=1&oq=Redi+Line+generator&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm&gs_upl74l9315l0l11159l10l5l0l0l0l3l148l566l2.3l5l0&gs_l=serp.12...8574l9315l0l11159l10l5l0l0l0l3l148l566l2j3l5l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp51efe205f334296&biw0&bihF1
500 watter for $1241.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

1200 watts divided by 12 volts = 100 amps. 120 ahr battery = less than one hour operating time. What kind of tractor? If that's big enough, you still need a couple thousand rpm.
Greg

Interesting point...
Why is the OP looking for an inverter rather than a small gas powered generator or even a gas powered chainsaw...
I feel that the "application" here is needlessly complicated by user error and over engineering...
~~ Evan
On 3/6/2012 10:09 PM, Evan wrote:

Darn Evan, where's your imagination? It's obvious the guy wants a QUIET way to carve up corpses of his victims. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 23:11:06 -0600, The Daring Dufas

He's such a thoughtful neighbor.

You don't want to have the tractor stuck in the woods with a dead battery. When I was looking into them to power my furnace and some lights from an inverter in case of a power outage, the biggest issue was my car alternator. It's the stock 100 amps, but I still don't know what engine rpm that's based on. A tractor probably has a lower amp alternator. That's the weak spot. You're not going to run a tool long on a single battery without the alternator going. 10 amps is a pretty heavy draw on a battery. Anyway, I decided hooking up a small gas space heater was easier and more cost efficient. There's some power loss with inverters, and they need heavy wiring and lugs.. Best place to get first hand advice on them is RV and contractor forums. I noticed some contractors use them to run power tools at job sites. Those are probably mostly hooked to pickup trucks with 100 amp or better alternators. I'm with those who say get a small gas generator or a gas saw. But if you can pick up a 2000W inverter cheap, give it a go.
--Vic