What's the difference between Hardy board & cement backer board?

What's the difference between Hardy board & cement backer board? I'm about to start my bathroom remodeling project and I'm not sure which of these products to use & where I should use them. I plan on removing/replacing the bathroom floor and the walls in the shower. Is it a matter of preference, or are they unique to a specific application? Also, I'm not sure how difficult of a job it is going to be to remove the floor (tile & cement board). Any insight into the demolition and installation of the floor would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
x071907

As far as I know they can be exchanged freely. If you have a cement floor their really not necessary. Used a lot on tile counter tops. I would use blue board, water resistant drywall on all the walls and ceiling that are not in direct contact with water. Blue board can take the humidity.

Reply to
SQLit

Use either/or. One's a generic name, the other's a copyrighted name.

For the floor demo, what I usually do in a case like this is get a cheap 4.5 inch angle grinder, buy some masonry blades, and checkerboard the tile and cement board in a conveniant size. Then tear it up. Those small pieces will be much easier to move than huge chunks. It'll be alot heavier than you planned for....

Do a good cleanup and prep and you're ready to go.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

There is no such thing as "Hardy board" I don't think. HardiBacker is a brand name of cement backer board.

Get out the ol' sledgehammer. Wear eye protection and leather work gloves.

Reply to
jeffc

As far as I know, they both perform about the same.The cement board is exactly that- fiberglass mesh with cement sandwitched in the middle. The hardy board is a fiber and cement product with other waterproofing additives.

I switched to the hardy bd, it is lighter(easier on the back), less likely to crack and crumble apart. I cut it with a circular saw w/ an old dull carbide blade,which goes pretty quick and makes less dust than cement bd.The hardy bd installs with screws or nails more readily than cement brd. Its a pretty good product, I don't float any walls anymore, or countertops either. The only fresh cement I use now is for shower floors in order to create pitch toward the drain. Todd .

Reply to
twiedeman