What's the deal w/ steel shingles?

Page 1 of 3
have been thinking about getting a steel roof (shingles) for 3 yrs now. My asphalt shingle roof leaks now. called this guy (150 miles from here) selling Metalworks (tamko) steel shingles. He comes & throws this 1/2hr sales pitch at me. The steel is not much better than what's on my barn now except it's cut into patterned, nicely painted, steel shingles shape. the final effect is pleasing - before & after pictures in his sales kit. he measures and quotes $670 per SQ (100 sq.ft) installed. As my family picks me up off the floor in midst of a coronary episode, I tell the turkey not let the front door smack his ass on the way out. I called another salesman. He sells canadian dura-loc shingles. very nice. He quotes $720/SQ. Looks like I picked another comedian. Took valium this time - after I gave him a good kick in the ass with my pointy steel cowboy boots.
I fired up the good old box to get the scoop on this steel shingle conspiracy. A simple search "steel shingles" yields well over three dozen small manufacturers across US/Canada. Nope, no monopoly or oligopoly at the mfg tier. What about the distribution channel? Contacted an online distributor. He sells Tamko (metalworks) shingles for $135/SQ on eBay. I like the price. I order - C.O.D. He "requires!!!" full payment in advance. I reached out with my middle finger and rammed it up his ass. messy business. Contacted 2 other onliners. The price wasnt that great ($180-$220/SQ) - payment in full up-front. I have executed my share of dumb mistakes in life but this is wont be one of them - sending $10000 across 7 state lines to some buffoon operating his webshop for less than 2 yrs.
And here I am. Can any of you esteemed DIYselfers share your experience how to negotiate fair DIY price and quaranteed delivery of steel shingles?
Your help - much appreciated. mr. frugal farmer
p.s. onliners: bestbuymetals.com, metalroofingwholesalers.com , metalroofingsource.com p.s.s. mfgs: accelroofing.com, custombiltmetals.com, edcoproducts.com, follansbeeroofing.com, kasselwood.com, kasselandiron.com, kasselandirons.com, metalsales.us.com, decra.com, metroroofproducts.com, metalsusa.com, allmet.com, zappone.com, tamko.com, steeltile.com, met-tile.com, nordmantile.com, interlockroofing.com, futureroof.com, loomismetals.com, paradigmshingles.com, reinkeshakes.com, vailmetal.com, vailmetalshingle.com, permatileroofing.com, westform.com, & manymany more.
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:21:03 -0400, Frugal Farmer wrote:
I tell the turkey not let the front door smack his ass on the way out. I called another salesman.
Looks like I picked another comedian. Took
*cut for brevity*
You Said:
valium this time - after I gave him a good kick in the ass with my pointy steel cowboy boots. He "requires!!!" full payment in advance. I reached out with my middle finger and rammed it up his ass.
Your help - much appreciated. mr. frugal farmer I said:
What happens when you find out that the going price is actually about 900 a SQ? You gonna go back to one of the others you pissed off above? If I were them I would charge you 2000 a SQ.
If paying someone an honest price is a problem for you DIY!
When you do, Please video the part where you get the steel shingles on the roof. I want to see it.
--
coffee
Linux Registered User #449534

you must be one that got duped by one of them, didnt you, coffee?

nix, asphalt shingles work for me too.

you can charge whatever you want, nobody's buying.

gimme a break; the mfg. sells them to wholesalers for $100 SQ. Installation guides are available on almost every mfg. website. if you know how to put two pieces of lego together, you know how to put your steel shingles up.

you have my word on that

So, you're looking at the cheap stuff. The guy that came to my house was $1400 a square. But if I sign tonight, he'd give me a "special" price. Never told me what that was and I'd have to agree to buy right then before he told me. Sure, goodbye. .

- there's no cheap stuff. It's pretty much all the same material from the same source. Each mfg just 'invents' their own design/profile (tool&die) and locking mechanism. Some of the shingles just look cheap but the steel/paint is virtually the same. Same goes for stone coated steel.

- same like vacuum cleaner peddlers with their 'vortex' miracle 5-15yrs ago, remember? - now at your local dept. store for $150.

-not if you're 'coffee' from earlier post. S/He or It wants to pay $2000 SQ and thinks it's worth it.
"Frugal Farmer" wrote in message

There's no results in current listings, or completed listings on eBay, for Tamko Metalworks. If you ever decide to eBay, you always pay first, before you get your merchandise. If you're turned in 3x for non-payment, you get booted off.
If you want credit, become a contractor, and set up a credit-line. No one is going to send you anything, COD. That's how companies get stuck, someone has buyer's remorse and refuses shipment, or they're dishonest, etc, etc. Can you see who gets stuck?
Get used to life in the big city.......Your credit's no good here....Period.
Maybe you can stick one of those middle fingers up your ass, and the other in your mouth...Rotate every 10 seconds.

sure there is, $119/SQ: http://cgi.ebay.com/Metalworks-SLATE-Shingles-Sequoia-Red_W0QQitemZ290171040714QQihZ019QQcategoryZ66945QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
But hey, let's not tell coffee from the previous post. He wants to pay $2000/SQ. And -it- thinks the going price is $900/SQ and it is quite a steal (or steel?). I am sure there were enough idiots who bought into the vortex vacuum cleaner miracle and thought paying $1400 for a $150-vacuum was quite a deal. Perhaps coffee bought one of those vortex miracles too.....for $2000?

- no need to become a contractor to get wholesale deals. Credit cards work the same way.

- same as 'never'.

Anyhow, I've done enough shopping on-line to know that majority of reputable sellers ship COD and accept credit cards.

yes, the party that doesnt do their homework

- I dont live in the city...and my credit is good

I'd prefer sharing the joy with you and slide the finger that was up my ass in and out of your mouth.

I didnt speak w/ anyone. I sent an email to Reinke (address listed on their contact page) re DIY price/shipping sometime back in August. My email was forwarded to a dealer/installer in WA responsible for my area. I didnt follow up after that as I presumed his price will include installation as well.

I would have thought aluminum shingles were a lot more expensive than $190/SQ.

this is good to know. and not just for me.....
Incidentally, even though this thread re steel shingles is only a few days old, it was already noticed by a mfg ( custom-built metals) who contacted me via email (above) w/ an offer to sell directly if my area is not covered by their distributor. They will sell directly, shingles and trims, at the price the installer gets it from wholesalers. Their "retail" price is $169/SQ. btw, this is the same price that the installer then turns into $900+/SQ (installed) - an "honest price" according to user "coffee" that posted here earlier. I have the complete price list (shingles/trims) and can make it available to whomever needs it. Perhaps it would make sense to keep this thread open should there be other mfgs that will sell directly to DIY homeowners so we can take advantage of this information and "shop around".

I dont know what the advantage of aluminum over steel is. however, my goal is to get new roof at the same price or lower than asphalt shingles would cost me. DIY steel shingle roof @130/SQ will cost less than asphalt shingles roof (installed) and last 50+ yrs maintenance free, many with lifetime warranty.
Frugal Farmer wrote:

So you blew off the response on an assumption and complain of some perceived disinterest in selling to DIY'ers when the vendor provided you a contact for your region which is apparently halfway across the country so you wouldn't have to pay single-load shipping costs.
The primary advantage of Al over steel is weight. Whether it's a significant advantage for you is a choice/decision only you can make.
To expect to get a lifetime or 50+ warranty and metal shingle roof for less than asphalt shingle may be dreaming based on pricing I did when looking in on what to do w/ the old barn. There's a point at which "frugal" becomes "cheap".
FWIW, which ain't necessarily much, in the end, I chose to go back to wood for two reasons -- the primary being in keeping w/ the original look of a large old barn which is, to the best of my knowledge, the last of only two still in the county, and secondarily, cost. Towards the end of the season after a devastating hail early that spring the local builder had what was perceived as an overstock left and not enough warehouse space to store them inside over winter, so let me have the 70 sq at $95 per...

Of course he does. Just use PayPal and put it on your credit card. If the shipment doesn't arrive or is defective you get all your money back. Sheesh, have you never bought anything online before?
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:04:04 -0400, <h> wrote:

yeah, ...sounds good on paper. once ordered, he reneged and insisted on wire transfer or bank draft before shipping. sheesh, have you ever tried to dispute credit card charges if product defective, wrong grade, missing parts, etc..?

not like this. not $10000 worth. have you..?

i have on a 3 grand purchase and the credit appeared immediately, and was no trouble.
If a merchant doesnt cooperate on a credit card sale rules they lose the ability to take cards forever.
Thats why I like paypal, it gives me security when buying stuff on line.
dont use western union, if a e bay seller demands it complain to e bay they will be de listed
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:38:44 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

- heard of paypal. dont have one. will get me one paypal. thanks.

- there is a twist with this guy on ebay; he completes deals off line
Frugal Farmer wrote:

If it's on eBay and the seller accepts PayPal, he's bound by the rules eBay sets up. I don't recall the limit of the buyer protection under PayPal directly, but the Federal law limits liability of any disputed amount on a credit card which trumps anything else.
The largest purchase I've made via eBay is something over $5k, it was done via bank draft. But, before committing, I looked into the seller's reputation very carefully and contacted him personally.
If there's any question at all in my mind, I won't deal with an individual on eBay. I looked at the Reinke shingles some time ago when deciding what to use on the barn here. No idea where you are, but Reinke is a near-local manufacturer of sprinkler irrigation systems with a very good reputation. They started the shingles after doing some for themselves as a sideline. At that point, they were roughly $180/sq plus shipping direct. I'd suggest contacting them directly and see who they have as a distributor in the area if you're anywhere close.

I did the same after I ordered since the shingles he sells on ebay are just 1/2 the order. the roof is an assembly of shingles, valleys, gables, starter strips, etc. and all needs to be color and type coordinated. once off-line, he completes the order with accessories and demands western union payment. he know the shingles are no good without the trims that go with it.

- I couldnt trust him after he asked for WU/bank draft. I guess I'll keep looking and pay a little more to somebody who can give me some assurance of credibility. I feel bad for those poor souls, like user 'coffee' above, who paid $900/SQ.

- I did too. their shingles are aluminum, thus, more expensive and their interest in selling to DIY was nil. I didnt pursue any further.
Frugal Farmer wrote:

That doesn't sound at all like Reinke (well, yes, they are Al, but to whom did you actually speak/contact?).
They're currently $190/sq plus a variable shipping from 5-9% depending on location relative to Hebron, NE.
They sell direct to anybody. Yes, you will need to pay upfront, but I'm attesting to the soundness of the firm. Again, depending on where you are and what your needs are, I suspect if you were to call and talk directly, you _might_ work out something else. This is a family business.
Now, you may not want the Al; your choice. I'm simply saying that Reinke Shakes is a quality outfit and will treat you fairly.

The quoted price 'appears' to be the installed price. If you are installing yourself, check with your local building supply store and see what they are charging per square.
Harry K

the price consists of shingles (i.e. 50SQ x $135) + accessories (valleys, gables, starter trims, fasteners,..) + taxes,..

none of the big/small brick&mortar stores sell steel shingles. while the installation of steel shingles is super-easy, people dont know they can DIY; thus, there is no demand for this product via brick&mortar stores. and that's how these door-to-door shysters can get away charging people like 'coffee' in previous posts $900/SQ.

Try a real building supply business. I have never had a problem ordering non-stocked items through one.
Harry K

Try dealing with a real building supply store. I have never had any problem ordering things they don't normally keep in stock.
Harry K