What's the best 120VAC wall outlet with two full power USB ports of at least 20 Watts?

Page 2 of 3  


I think you just answered your own question. Any more amerage isn't going to fit inside a recepticle that is shared with mains voltage. Maybe some exist that are only USB outlets.
Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

that's why sticking to name brands is important. a name brand will not lie about ul approval.
with noname crap, you never know what you'll get. even the power rating can be bogus (and often is).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload





But there is no way to determine if it actually is a name brand or just someone lying about the brand, a fake.
With a microscopic subset like Apple, you can only ever by stuff from an Apple place of worship, but plenty of us don't even have that option and it isnt available with most stuff anyway.

But plenty lie about the brand name.

And with something like the power outlets he is talking about its easy enough to buy just one of what looks like a branded product, with a UL rating and check that it does deliver what it claims to and break it open and check that its not a fake too. Not a shred of rocket science required at all. But you do need to know more about the basics than you do.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/7/2015 3:40 PM, Danny D. wrote:

I ask: Will USB ports be de rigueur 30 years from now? Plug ins are cheap. I'd prefer to use them.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
nospam wrote, on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 11:12:44 -0500:

The quest is for two 2.1 Amp ports, which will handle two iPads at the same time.
I can only find one UL-approved receptacle that does that. I was just hoping that there would be more out there than the one I found.
Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 2:22:16 PM UTC-6, Danny D. wrote:

Because of their size and ability to dissipate heat (confined space) they have their current limits. IMHO
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Rod Speed wrote, on Fri, 09 Jan 2015 05:11:32 +1100:

I don't claim to be an expert on anything, but, I doubt there is a real danger of fake 120VAC receptacles being sold by reputable firms (as the ones I outlined were), and then being put in homes all across the USA every day by electricians and homeowners alike.
Sure, I know about the made-up scare by Apple regarding the fake chargers - and I know all about the Apple audience eating it up like hotcakes.
IMHO, that fake Apple charger issue was purposefully blown vastly out of proportion, by Apple Marketing (which is the best there is, after BMW Marketing) after the death of that Asian lady using the phone in China with a white charger block.
Even if fake white charger blocks were a real threat, to imply that the worldwide market for fake white charger blocks is even remotely similar to the USA-only market for 120VAC wall outlets, is preposterous (and barely worth the text required to dispute).
To summarize, I highly doubt fake UL-approved USA receptacles is a real problem. It's a great made-up scare-tactic problem, which probably works great on Apple customers, but I'd personally worry more about falling down the stairs while reading text on my iPhone than I would about fake UL-approved wall outlets.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just as well...

Yes, but its likely that plenty in china will be making what appear to be receptacles from those firms you listed when they are not, just like they do with Apple.

That must happen with some of them with receptacles given that that is the whole point of a receptacle.

Nothing made up about it, there are plenty of example of teardowns of the fakes on youtube and I just don’t believe that Apple deliberately made those to con people into buying theirs.

Because it’s a real problem, just like it with with fake expensive perfume and bags and shoes etc.

Why do you have hairy opinions ?

We do know that people have ended up dead when they have used fake chargers.
Yes, far more have been killed by not paying attention to what they are doing when using their phone etc.

For a good reason. Few welcome that risk.

They can be to the device you are charging with one.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

Your problem.

Wrong, as always.

But it does make sense to get US branded receptacles rather than no name ones from China if you find ones from china that claim to deliver more current than those US made ones you found.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

much sooner.
the new usb type c plug will replace the existing plugs within a year or two. it's that much better.

yep, and easily replaced should something new come along, which it will.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

those exist. what you won't find is 20w for *each* port since it's not needed.

typically people have one tablet and one phone, so having one port be a high power port means the cost can be reduced a bit.
however, as i said, there are some that have 10w per port.

no problem. thanks for clarifying it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
nospam wrote, on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 13:53:07 -0500:

I don't know who you are, but, I have to wonder if you realize that the world-wide market for white apple looking stuff is not even remotely similar to that of UL-approved USA 120VAC electrical outlets.
Nonetheless, the question remains whether anyone can find a BETTER wall outlet than the one I found, where better is defined as having at least two full-power ports, and where full-power merely means two iPads or similar (usually that's 2.1 Amps per port simultaneously).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 3:33:53 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

To further shoot holes in that argument, if you buy a Leviton (name brand) product at HomeDepot (name brand store), the chance that it's counterfit is virtually zero. The bizarre argument he's making is that because name brands can be counterfitted, it's pointless to buy a name brand anything. Seems to me buying a name brand product through a reputable channel is the best practical way to be sure you're not buying some defective knock off. What's his solution? Buy some from wherever and send them out for analysis? A lot of these kinds of products you couldn't even take them apart to see what's inside without destroying them, and even then unless you're a tech expert you still wouldn't know what you have.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Don Wiss wrote, on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 13:19:56 -0500:

What I'm looking for is to charge two tablets at the same time, and the only spec I know of for tablets is the 2.1 Amp spec.
So that means two times 2.1 Amps which is a tad over 20 Watts. Clearly that exists, and fits inside a normal USA outlet box.
In fact, I had googled before posting, and only found one wall outlet that output 20 Watts that fit in a normal electrical box, so, my question was simply whether I had found the only one out there, or, if I missed a few (since I'm not an electrician or even well versed in this stuff).
Apparently, based on the responses so far, there is only one 120VAC/20W USB wall receptacle out there, so, I'll try to find a few of those to put in.
I was just hoping someone out there knew more than I did, since I admit I don't know much about this stuff.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bob_villa wrote, on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 07:03:47 -0800:

The only problem with Hubbell is that they apparently misrepresent the truth (according to what I can find out on the net about this particular charger).
It's not really that they lie, they just don't tell you what you need to know, so you're forced to make the calculations based on the input wattage, which isn't even in and of itself enough to justify the assumption of both ports being 3 amps.
So, the only conclusion you can make, based on the evidence we have, is that the Hubbell is the WORST of the three outlets that I found.
Bear in mind, the goal was to find an equivalent (or better) outlet to the BEST that I had found by googling.
So far, we've failed.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 2:42:48 PM UTC-6, Danny D. wrote:

I know this isn't what you want...but would it do the job? (Amazon.com product link shortened)20749977&sr=8-3&keywords=surge+strip+with+usb+charging
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Frank wrote, on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 14:11:48 -0500:

I don't know the answer, but USB is certainly here for the next five years, so, for the bedroom and office, where you are very likely to plug in a USB-powered device, it makes economic sense (at least to me), to pop in a 2-port 20-Watt outlet in key areas.
Besides, the outlet actually costs (slightly) less than a similar spec'd external charger, so, if you need a charger, and it's for a static location, I don't see the advantage of the wall wort style charger over the receptacle style.
I guess nobody knows of a better one than the one I found (which is surprising), so, I'll get the 20 Watt outlet that I had found by googling. They don't seem to sell it at the box stores though, so, I may have to order online.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/8/2015 3:48 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Wife bought me a tablet and toy helicopter for Christmas. Tablet was cheap <$50 but it came with a plug in USB adapter. Wonder what these outlets cost.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
nospam wrote, on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 15:31:56 -0500:

Sorry if I wasn't clear in the original question. The goal is 2.1 Amps out of each 5V port at the same time. That's about 10 Watts per port, for a total of about 20 Watts.
I can only find one receptacle that does that. There must be more. I was just asking if anyone here knew of others.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bob_villa wrote, on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 12:50:40 -0800:

That's not a bad find, as it contains 4 "smart" USB ports, two of which are useful for tablets.
However, I had already gone to Frys to see what they had, which included similar power strips (albeit not as nice nor as inexpensive as the one you found).
So, as a power strip, your suggestion is nice in that it contains two useful ports (for tablets) and it has auto sense, if that matters.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

usb type a/b connectors will be replaced by the new reversible usb type c connector long before 5 years, and not just because it's reversible.
it offers many other benefits, such as supporting up to 100w power and 10gig speeds. a laptop would be able to charge off usb, much like a phone does now.

it's a lot easier to change a charger as technology changes than it is a wall outlet, as well as carry it with you while traveling.
that's why you'll see a *lot* more chargers for sale and not very many wall outlet chargers.
the wall outlet chargers make sense in industrial settings, such as airports, hotels, schools, etc.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.