What's in my water

Hi all, Live in a small rural community. I spend sometime away during the winter months, so I left the cold water running in the bathroom sink to prevent freezing. Anyways in doing so I tied a white cloth around the facet tap, so that while the water was running it ran directing through the cloth (why you may asked, well to prevent water spattering). Well two weeks later when I came home the cloths was a brown rusty color. So I did the same experiment again a month later with the same results. The water souce is provided by the town council from a big pond.

Note, when you pour up a glass of water, it looks perfect....or if you wash clothes no problem. Obviously others in the community are experiencing the same thing, but I bet few have did this experiment to know this.

What is this? Should I bring the cloth to the town coucil? I don't drink the water, but do brush my teeth, wash clothes, cook with it.

Whadda think all?

Reply to
Acura God

I'd guess there's rust someplace, do you have galvanized plumbing ? That much water run thru a cloth is bound to turn some color, I've had rust accumulate on a tub with city water, don't know if it came that way from the city or it was the pipes in our house, that was eons ago.

Reply to
roger61611

Chemical analysis shouldn't be too expensive. Take the analysis to the Town Council. That would give them something to respond to. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Most likely rust. It is rather normal in most towns. In my case, the water is pure leaving the pumping station, but it runs through pipes that are up to 100 years old along the way. I have a sediment filter to keep the rust from getting into the house, but even the 5 micron filters are not perfect.

Other minerals are present in the water also. They may turn the cloth white, brown, red depending on what they are and what the concentration is. If it bothers you, get the water tested and get a filter. It took a lot of water to turn that color so it is not a big deal. Rather than waste hundreds or thousands of gallons of water, consider turning off the main when you are away.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The water department must test and make public those tests every year. It is a matter or public record if yow ant to see what is in the pipe at he pumping station. At your house, it can differ due to contamination and rust in the distribution lines.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Acura God wrote: ... ...regarding some sediment/color in tap water...

I think "tempest in teapot"...

Virtually any surface water source such as the reservoir you mention will have a certain amount of silt/sediment too fine to filter. That plus, as others have noted, a little rust or other salts, and you have what you see.

Unless this is a small community, I'm certain the state will have requirements on any municipal supply and it's highly unlikely they're not in compliance...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yep. And I'd like to point out that for the vast majority of human history we've gotten most of our drinking water out of muddy holes in the ground. It's a wonder there's still any of us left.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner