What's a torque wrench?

Yes, it does. 500 in-lbs is believable, but 500 ft-lbs is not.

No, it's about two to three times the torque on *anything* on a car.

Nonsense. That's too much for a lawnmower blade, actually: the bolts are smaller than wheel lugs on a car, and made of softer steel besides. For mower blades, 40-60 ft-lbs is more like it; the spec on my John Deere STX-38 is 55, for example.

That may be a bit high for cars with aluminum-alloy wheels, too...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not only that... the bolts that hold mower blades in place aren't all that big. It's _physically_impossible_ to tighten one to 500 ft-lbs, because the bolt would shear _long_ before it reached that torque.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You seem to be saying that if a bolt has already been tightened 50 foot pounds and I put a torque wrench on it set to click at 30 foot pounds and then start pulling on the wrench, I *won't* get a click when I reach

30 foot pounds of torque?

That would take a pretty smart wrench, wouldn't it?

Or, did you just miswrite what you meant to say?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

On my torque wrench, if you ignore the click and keep pulling, it does not click a second time. Perhaps this is the behavior he was attempting to describe. The statement is nonsense in almost any other context.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Or if a mechanic first uses a regular wrench then checks the torque and he previously overtorqued it with the regular wrench, the torque wrench will never click. That is how a torque wrench I own works according to its instructions. You must approach the correct torque with the torque wrench. It cannot detect an already overtorqued nut.

Reply to
Art

Sorry, I don't buy that. How does the torque wrench know the difference between these two situations?

a) force applied to the handle is gradually being increased up to the set point as the nut turns slowly, approaching the correct torque

b) force applied to the handle is gradually being increased up to the set point as the nut remains stationary, having already been tightened beyond the correct torque

What model of torque wrench is this, that is smart enough to tell the difference between the two situations? You say that's how it works "according to the instructions". Have you actually tested it, to see if that's how it works _in_practice_? Please post the section of the instructions that describes this amazing behavior.

Reply to
Doug Miller

| >> On my torque wrench, if you ignore the click and keep pulling, it does not | >> click a second time. Perhaps this is the behavior he was attempting to | >> describe. The statement is nonsense in almost any other context. | >

| >Or if a mechanic first uses a regular wrench then checks the torque and he | >previously overtorqued it with the regular wrench, the torque wrench will | >never click. That is how a torque wrench I own works according to its | >instructions. You must approach the correct torque with the torque wrench. | >It cannot detect an already overtorqued nut. | | Sorry, I don't buy that. How does the torque wrench know the difference | between these two situations? | | a) force applied to the handle is gradually being increased up to the set | point as the nut turns slowly, approaching the correct torque | | b) force applied to the handle is gradually being increased up to the set | point as the nut remains stationary, having already been tightened beyond the | correct torque | | What model of torque wrench is this, that is smart enough to tell the | difference between the two situations? You say that's how it works "according | to the instructions". Have you actually tested it, to see if that's how it | works _in_practice_? Please post the section of the instructions that | describes this amazing behavior.

I am finding out more about torque wrenches than I had intended. Now boys, keep the discussion civil, ok?

Claudia

Reply to
Claudia

That could be the understatement of the century

Now boys, keep the discussion civil, ok?

Whole bunch of people on Usenet with not a whole lot to do, lots of time on their hands, if'n you get my drift.

It's best to get in, get your answer, and bail out. Eventually, this thread will spawn 1 or 2 flame wars and at least one discussion of the election and the war in the middle east.

Run now while the gettin' is good!

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Huh? Sure it will. If the nut doesn't turn (torqued higher than the wrench is set for), the torque wrench clicks when your pull exceeds the torque it is set for. Set a wrench for 50 foot pounds and pull on a nut that is torqued any amount higher than 50 foot pounds and it will click. The click tells you that the nut is torqued at or more than 50 foot pounds.

Of course you are right, the click doesn't tell you anything about the torque of the nut, unless you keep setting the wrench higher and when it finally moves the nut you know the torque WAS the previous setting.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

she's talking about a mower blade, which oughta be pretty heavy torque.

500 inch pounds -- that would be 500 divided by 12, which is about 45, or so. Not near a calculator. 45 is believable for a mower blade bolt.

Briggs tends to be on with a 9/16 bolt head (what's that, like 3/8-16?) and so that's doable.

Tecumseh tend to be a larger nut (15/16?) and that might go more like 75 ft pounds, my guess.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It is an inch pound torque wrench and yes, unfortunately it was tested by overtorquing and ruining a bunch of expensive fasteners that were already past the measurement point due to an unsupervised inexperienced worker. I didn't consider it a feature..... I considered it a design flaw..... but I guess from an engineers point of view it is a feature since the torque wrench cannot be blamed for the mis-measurement and over torquing. Lack of proper use caused the problem. It was made by SK Handtool Corporation

though I don't see the exact model in their on-line catalog. It is 2 years old. Just dug it out of my garage so I could answer your post. The instruction explicitly say to never torque a fastener that is already tightened. Loosen it first. In our experience if you don't do that with this model wrench it will never click.

Reply to
Art

In other words, it's broken.

Yep. Lack of proper use.

Did you ever try that with a new one, that hadn't been abused?

Reply to
Doug Miller

It is working exactly as designed. If you tighten the item with it it clicks when torqued correctly. If the item is already overtightened it is useless as it should be. It is designed to get you to the correct torque. It is not designed to tell you that the fastener is torqued greater than it was supposed to be.

"Art"

Reply to
Art