What kind of snake is this?

I found this little snake on the driveway this morning. It was dead but had no obvious signs of trauma. Location is the area south of Sarasota Florida. It was about as thick as a pencil and perhaps 12 to 18 inches long.
http://cbress.home.comcast.net/snake.jpg
"Charlie Bress" <Here-I-am-at-the-last-moment.com> wrote in message

That is the dreaded SPITTING PANTS PYTHON!!!!
Charlie Bress wrote:

It's a scarlet king snake. Harmless and useful.
If it had a black nose, it would be a coral snake...quite poisonous but shy and reclusive. The bands on a coral snake are red|yellow|black; on a king snake they are red|black\yellow.
http://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Coral_snake_mimics.gif
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.05... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
This little specimen did not have rings. The pattern is almost diamond shape, but it sure isn't a rattler.
Charlie

Charlie Bress wrote:

Yep, I didn't look close enough. Head is all wrong too.
--
dadiOH
____________________________

It's not even close to a king or coral snake...
Jeff
Have no idea on the snake but I sure would like to know how to post pictures I have a digital camera.
Tom.
"Charlie Bress" <Here-I-am-at-the-last-moment.com> wrote in message

Try here
http://www.google.com/search?q=free%20photo%20host

You have to check out your Cox help. All ISPs give their users some web space to post things. But by default it isn't set up. So somewhere they tell you have to set it up. Then get a freeware FTP program and simply send the jpg into the web directory. Then you can directly link to it. If you want pictures on a page, that is more complicated, or use one of the many picture sites that have user friendly software. Yahoo has one.
Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
its a red rat snake, some people call them red corn snakes. I pulled one out of a maple tree cavity nest once in Pinellas - there was a big ball of them in there - daughter fed it hand caught lizards and named it sizzles because that's the sound it makes with its tail sometimes kept it for several years in an aquarium raised mice in another aquarium for dinner once it was big enough. Only bit her once. It took off into the bushes one day while its aquarium was getting a bath. Maybe that's one of its great great grandchildren.
"Charlie Bress" <Here-I-am-at-the-last-moment.com> wrote in message

had
well, like you said, it's a DEAD snake ; )
"Charlie Bress" <Here-I-am-at-the-last-moment.com> wrote in message

I'm from Fla and currently live just south of you, in Lee County. I've always known that snake as a "corn" snake, though there's probably a technical species-specific name for it. It's non-poisonous. Many people mistake them for "pigmy rattlers."
Charlie Bress wrote:

And just south of him here in Collier County they're referred to as a Red Rat Snake. Same thing though. :)
The rat/corn snakes are actually good to have around since their major prey is small rodents, which are often the kind homeowners want to get rid of. Almost s good as black racers.
And yes, people kill them all the time, out of mistake or fear.
Jeff
On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:33:14 GMT, PRNole

"Charlie Bress" <Here-I-am-at-the-last-moment.com> wrote in

This might help: http://www.southalley.com/snakes.html
Murray Peterson wrote:

Yep. Looks like the baby Corn Snake:
http://www.southalley.com/snakes_redyel.html
"Charlie Bress" <Here-I-am-at-the-last-moment.com> wrote in

It's the Florida Hanging Chad snake.
"Charlie Bress" <Here-I-am-at-the-last-moment.com> wrote in message

had
Still alive it looks like you failed to do your job.
Kill the damn thing.
snip

For what reason? MG