What is AIR ENTRAINING portland cement?

I was getting the price for portland cement and sand/gravel to pour a small shed floor about one CU YARD. I intend to mix it myself in a drum mixer.

The portland cement bags said type A1 (or was that 1A), AIR ENTRAINING portland cement. I have never heard that term used before. What is AIR ENTRAINING? Anyone know?

LM

Reply to
letterman

It is a chemical additive in concrete that creates microscopic air pockets in the concrete that provide extra protection for the concrete in freeze/thaw cycles. It is normal and desirable in exterior concrete like sidewalks and driveways. It can create blisters in hard troweled concrete (steel trowel finish) and normally NOT used in interior applications.

Reply to
DanG

Damn, is Google broken again?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Gee Doug, only 1,854,732 hits. Would you care to read through them and choose the right one for the OP? Or should he ask someone who might actually know?

On 5/28/2009 5:25 AM Doug Miller spake thus:

If you're too damn lazy to answer the question, why not just STFU instead?

Sheesh. I'm just so damned tired of hearing people reply "just Google it".

Think about it; a good reason to *ask a question here*, rather than just type some search terms into a search engine like any other idiot, is that just *maybe* there might be someone here who not only can give you the definition of the term, but also may have had some actual experience using it and can give you the benefit of their knowledge. That's why [insert name of deity here] invented Usenet.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I only got 142,000 hits. Not too many to read. The first 5 will tell the OP all he needs to know.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'm neither Doug, or the OP, but if I were to Google ; what is air entraining I might go with the first hit which reads; "What is air-entrained concrete? An explanation on what air-entrained concrete exactly is."

Been on Usenet long? Wealth of good information. . . .tons of bad.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Not a new formula. It has been around for well over 50 years. Different type of cement.

Reply to
DanG