What is a GROUND UNION for gas ???

Are there OTHER types of unions for gas besides GROUND unions ?? I thought pipe was naturally grounded since it is pipe.

TIA

Found the post below. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Don't conceal the union. Place an access panel in the wall at the location of the union. Make sure you use a ground union appropriate for gas.

RB

Peter B. wrote:

Our home has all of the gas pipe run in black pipe with threaded > connection. We are in need of bringing in a gas drop to an unused up > stairs closet that we want to turn into a second laundry room. > > There is a gas line that runs in the wall in the very closet where > the new laundry room is to be located. What is the best way to tap > into the existing gas line? > > I can get a pipe cutter on it to cut the pipe and thread it, but I > can't think of any fitting that I could use to make up the new > connection except a union and as I recall, unions are not allowed to > be concealed inside walls. > > Any suggestions? > > TIA - Pete
Reply to
Conase

There's more than one meaning for the word ground, Conase.

I believe what the fellow was reeferring to was a union whose sealing surfaces have been mechanically ground so they are sure to mate completely and produce a gas tight seal.

It's of akin to the old tyme way of grinding the valves in a car engine by rotating them against their seats with some "valve grinding compound" (sort of like a super abrasive toothpaste) on their mating surfaces surfaces.

At least that's what it meant when I was a kid.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The idiot may have meant a ground joint union. Those are unions that do not allow nay electricity to pass.

Reply to
HeatMan

Ya got it backwards don't ya? A ground jointunion WILL allow eletricity to pass. A dielectric union WILL NOT allow electricity to pass. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I dont know why this guy is making this job so complicated. Just cut the pipe inside the wall (where needed). Then unscrew the piece that goes down. It's probably 3 feet at most to the basement. Now, thread the upper piece, install the Tee, and thead the piece that goes to the basement, but cut off 3 inches first. Screw that piece on the Tee (going down). Now go in the basement, install a union on that piece along with a short nipple (probably 2 inches long). The union is now exposed in the basement. That sure beats access panels and all sorts of other complicated stuff.

If there is an Elbow directly below (in basement), it might be even easier to take apart the horizontal pipe and put the union down there. OR, maybe just leave the solid pipe alone inside the wall, find a nearby place in the basement horizontal run, and install the Tee there. Then just tun a short stub up to that room for your needs.

Reply to
me