What constitutes a damaged shingle?

I was looking at my roof and I notice there are some shingles curled up at the edges. I'm going to shinny up and check it out more closely, but as far as I can see there are none with chunks out of them.
I was thinking of replacing any that need it in order to stretch out the time to replace the entire roof given the cost and was wondering exactly which ones I should be replacing.
Thanks for any and all input.
BSAKing wrote:

Unless you have some missing, I would not do a thing. Getting up there and repair some can often damage others. It sounds like you are approaching the end of the useful life of what you have and you should plan on a full replacement soon.
In some cases if money is a real issue, you may stretch out the life by replacing just the south facing roof segments (north facing for those experiencing fall right now).
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Thanks - we had some ice damming and ice on the roof here a few years ago because of weather conditions that caused some issues in some areas. I agree it will not be long for a replacement, but $100 sounded a lot better than 5-7K$ right now, if even to extend it for a few years.

If it's not leaking now, then wait till it gets really hot, so the shingles will flex and not crack, and then go up and glue down the raised edges of the up-lifted shingles with one dot of adhesive per tab.
It's not going to buy you much time though. I'd expect one extra year, and hope for two. Can you see the underside of the roof so you can inspect it during heavy rains for leaks?

I feel you would do far more damage to your roof by walking on it than you would be helping it by replacing a few shingles. Maybe if you could replace all the curling shingles and reseal without walking on it then ok.

You could always do what someone that I know did. The guy bought 3 or 4 bundles of shingles everytime he got his paycheck. Then he started at one corner and removed and replaced the shingles, one by one until he used up those bundles. The next time he got paid, he would do the same, and so on. It took him two years to replace the whole roof, but he now has a new roof and it actually looks good. I remember him complaining about one bad spot he encountered, and he was forced to buy an extra bundle that one week, which as he said, meant less food that week. I was always worried about the manufacturer changing the color, but he lucked out. I can however notice there are a few areas where the different batches are slightly noticable, since shingles, just like paint, are never exactly the same in each batch.
The guy is a little "different", but whatever works !!!!
daveg@________.com wrote: ...

That would have been real fun if they stopped making that style or color after a few moths. :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

or trying to figure out where the warrantee starts on which area of shingles