what brand ceiling fan is the quietest?

we need a really quiet one ,esp. on the slowest speed. like 36" any brands the best?

g adds. MONEY , what a concept

Reply to
LL bean

I have a Hunter fan that I consider quiet; but I've had it for 15 yrs., and don't know if the quality is the same now. In most products, quality seems to be doing downhill, in our throwaway society. ;)

I think they are worth checking out though, based on my problem free experience. bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Reply to
RBM

I've had two Casablanca ceiling fans for 21+ years now and they run virtually 100% of the time, day & night, summer & winter. Can't even tell that they're on except for the movement of air. However, as with any exposed device, an annual blow out of dust in the coils does some good.

Bob_M

I installed an Emerson in my last house about 2 years ago. It was silent on all speeds. Seemed very high quality, and was one of the less expensive fans. I went to an actual lighting store rather than a big box place. If I recall it was under $100, and the best fan I've seen. I've been thinking of getting another one to replace the Hunter in the bedroom of my new house.

Reply to
J Kelly

Reply to
TPutmann

I bought the Hampton Bay brand at Home Depot (5 throughout the house) and all are quiet.

Bigest complaint is that I used speed controls in the wall switch and several create a noticable hum when running at slow speed. Anyone know how to deal with this?

I've researched and even the manufacturers web sites say their fans "may" hum when used with speed control.

One exception is one fan that came with its own speed control -- runs very quiet.

Reply to
Jerry

On Fri 27 May 2005 01:22:49p, Jerry wrote in alt.home.repair:

You need a "stepped" speed control, not one that is continuously variable. Casablanca, among others, makes such a control and I've never seen one yet that hums.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright