what brand ceiling fan is the quietest?

we need a really quiet one ,esp. on the slowest speed. like 36" any brands the best?

MONEY , what a concept
Have no idea, but we purchased a Hampton Bay recently, and I swear you can't even tell it's on.

Casablanca "Intellitouch" fans are silent, and excellent fans but they start at about $300. Hampton Bay from Depot is not one company, but several manufacturers that build for Depot under the name. Some of the fans sold under the HB name are excellent and cheap. The only problem is trying to identify which ones!!

RBM wrote:

I have a Hunter fan that I consider quiet; but I've had it for 15 yrs., and don't know if the quality is the same now. In most products, quality seems to be doing downhill, in our throwaway society. ;)
I think they are worth checking out though, based on my problem free experience. bj
There are a number of fan companies out there, some good and some bad, you can get lucky and get a real cheap fan that works well. I've had instances where I installed several fans from the same manufacturer on one job, and some were balanced and quiet and others wobbly and noisy. I've never been a <fan> of Hunter, because many of their fans are so heavy that special support has to be added to safely install them. Somewhere around ten years ago they bought out Casablanca fan company and although the quality of CB fans has remained high, the customer service has been abysmal

virtually 100% of the time, day & night, summer & winter. Can't even tell that they're on except for the movement of air. However, as with any exposed device, an annual blow out of dust in the coils does some good.

I installed an Emerson in my last house about 2 years ago. It was silent on all speeds. Seemed very high quality, and was one of the less expensive fans. I went to an actual lighting store rather than a big box place. If I recall it was under $100, and the best fan I've seen. I've been thinking of getting another one to replace the Hunter in the bedroom of my new house.
All brands are quiet as long as you dont apply electricity ! It's the electricity that makes all the noise !!!!

I bought the Hampton Bay brand at Home Depot (5 throughout the house) and all are quiet.
Bigest complaint is that I used speed controls in the wall switch and several create a noticable hum when running at slow speed. Anyone know how to deal with this?
I've researched and even the manufacturers web sites say their fans "may" hum when used with speed control.
One exception is one fan that came with its own speed control -- runs very quiet.
On Fri 27 May 2005 01:22:49p, Jerry wrote in alt.home.repair:

You need a "stepped" speed control, not one that is continuously variable. Casablanca, among others, makes such a control and I've never seen one yet that hums.
--
Wayne Boatwright