What Brand?

Don't be confused by the brand. Don't worry about the brand. The most important part of any heating or AC project is not the hardware, it is the ability of the professional. The best equipment will give poor service and fair equipment will give good service depending on how it is chosen and installed.

Pick your professional and use the equipment they prefer. They will know that equipment better and you will get a better job. A good professional will not offer second rate equipment.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi Everyone:

I've just had about 5-6 estimates for central air conditioning for my home.

I need a gas/electric package unit 3.0 ton. I've decided on a 12 SEER because that's as far as my budget can go.

I'm getting confused by all the different brands. Some I've had people recommend Lennox, Trane, Carrier, Reem, on and on.

But what I'm looking for reliability and economy. I have a fixed budget. The installation is pretty straight forward as the house is pretty much ready to go. I've had it checked out throughly. The kicker is really the price of the unit.

Everyone has their favorite and swears by it. I've been told that Trane does their own compressor and I'm reluctant to get in a situation where one company is so specialized that it would take a couple days to get a replacement compressor. Reem, I'm told is easy to get parts for, no problem. One vendor said a Reem was too noisy and not so reliable. I've also had Carrier recommended.

What I would like is some feedback from anyone that has had to purchase a package unit. I would like to hear the horror stories as well as kudos about different brands.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Kathleen

Reply to
Kathleen Daily-Herrman

I agree that installation quality is most important though I would add the Rheem and Rhud seem to provide a bit more bang for the buck then some others.

Reply to
Art

Ok..

Package unit..in 12SEER...36,000 BTU AC......WHAT size furnace??????

Brand mean nothing...period....until its time to replace parts out of warranty...then you find out.

Hope you are not getting quoted over $3200......period.

Trane uses the old GE Climatuff, and American Standard OWNS Trane. Trane uses the highest priced POS parts that they can...wait till it fails out of warranty and you will see..

Rheem/Ruud. Easy to get parts for? LOL...ok...I would rather get parts for a Trane...but its a local thing. Rheem/Ruud is not a bad unit..in split system form. I do NOT like their package units at all...but thats me...when you have to repair them for a living.....plus, the fact that they sold out to the Japanese, who in turn, sold that company to a Chinese company....nah...I wont sell those to anyone....

Carrier looks at EVERY customer as a Guiniea Pig... That said...they are not bad units, even though most every dealer went to R410a and didnt get fully trained on it..

Ok...its like this...what contractor is licenced, insured and took time to measure the home, and do a proper manual J load calculation, show the results to you, and then do a manual D duct size calculation? If the answer is none...then you need to keep looking...period. You are about to buy the single most expensive appliance in your home. You are going to depend on it day, and night, and only want to think about it twice a year for general service.....properly sized and installed, you wont think about it till you get your service reminder in the mail.....installed wrong...even as simple as a gas pack...you will worry, wonder and hate it.

The name on the unit really means nothing....its the company that looks at you as a real customer, not a dollar bill that matters.

Licence....ask for the number, and verify it if your state requires one...running gas line requires at least one in most areas, and if you are in NC for example, you better be sure that they have either a limited electrical, or have a licenced electrician that will make the final high voltage connections.

Insurance...allow NO work on your home till you have a copy of the insurance certificate in your hands, and have verification that the policy is good. on that same note..you might ask to see the workers comp certificate, otherwise, YOU will be liable if a worker gets hurt at your home. PERMITS. If your area requires them, demand that you SEE the permit. Verify that it has your name and address on it and that ALL inspections are performed. Manual J...heat gain/loss calculation...REQUIRED to determine the correct size unit for your home..there ARE NO RULES OF THUMB in HVAC...other than most techs have two opposable ones... Manual D...Duct sizing calculation, that takes the airflow of the unit, BTUs needed per room, and area, and distance and static pressures of the system in operation into acount. Without it....your duct might not blow..but suck....lol...

Anyone that will not do that...show them the door. Period.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

This is Turtle.

You first choice or thing to get right is a good respectiable installer that will install the equipment.

Second is the brand and it would be a personal option of mine if I said one or theother so take it as a personal view only. Here is a list of brand but they will be in the order of what i would pick first.

Rheem Ruud Carrier Amana ArcoAire -- High end equipment only. Lennox Trane Goodman

This is the way i look at them.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

"*CBHVAC*" wrote

:-/

That must be a local thing too. I'm a refrigeration man as well and wasn't the least bit worried about this 410a. Just another color bottle on the rack. :-)

mail.....installed

Exactly.

Reply to
American Mechanical

Hi...

Thank you for your imput everyone!

Here's the Model Numbers on the quote:

Reem 12 Seer 3.0 Tons Gas/Electric Package #RRMAA036JK08X

Trane 3.0 /xK1200 3.0 Tons Gas/Electric Package #YCX03601MOA

I'm not sure about the BTU's, its it possible to tell from the Model Number?

Thanks

Kathleen

Reply to
Kathleen Daily-Herrman