What are some easier ways to clean an encrusted aluminum oven pan?... with residues from roasting

What are some easier ways to clean an encrusted aluminum oven pan?... with residues from roasting

Aluminum?
I would just throw it away.
Steel (plated or stainless or enamel) then the first thing is a LONG dishwasher cycle followed by a razor blade, copper pad, "Bar Tender's Friend" and plastic scouring pad.

Fill a sink or other container (like a dishpan) with enough hot water to cover the pan plus a little. Dissolve in as much powdered dishwasher detergent (like cascade, not hand dishwashing soap) as you can get to dissolve, and then add some more. Let it soak overnight. Scrape off what you can and repeat. It may take a few repeats, but it will eventually come clean without a lot of scrubbing. Concentrated dishwasher detergent is strong stuff. It may discolor the pan, but it will come clean.
HTH,
Paul
thesak wrote:

There aren't any.....burnt on grease is about like paint to remove. Cheaper to pitch the pan if you want shiny. I've used oven cleaner, which works, but corrodes the alum. and turns it a strange color.
Another strategy -- requires some care -- is to do what I used to do when I messed up a pan when camping. Put it on the stove. Put in enough water to cover the bottom. Add a little detergent. Heat to boiling. NOT so high you boil it over. Boil for 5-10 minutes -- you have to regulate the heat carefully. Then carry it CAREFULLY to the sink and work the loosened crud off with a plastic scrubber.
Again, as another poster points out, it might be just easier to chuck it. For one-shot roasting projects, there are those nice heavy foil pans you can get in the supermarket. Best deal ever for the annual turkey roast, which is a real PITA to clean up.

Not aluminum or a pan, and probably not grease, but I've cleaned the inside of the window in a gas grill with a razor blade scraper. Worked really easily. OT, but I thought I'd mentin it.
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:00:00 -0000, thesak wrote:

I put mine in the oven and run the self-cleaning cycle.

i did the same with parts of my gas grill, top one time bottom next day, had to grind off rusted bolts first.
came out looking brand new, amazing

If you're talking about stuff on the inside of a pan, you have your work cut out for you. If it's on the outside, don't bother too much, unless (like me) you're a bit of an obsessive about things looking new.
Someone earlier mentioned Bar Keeper's Friend, which has been great on my stainless steel pans. Bon Ami may work as well for you. Soft Scrub may be good, too.
Soaking may help soften the encrusting, but don't expect to get it all in one shot. Try a little each time you clean the pan, and keep at it.
Remember, sharp items may scratch the aluminum and then you're just adding to the difficulty. Persistence is your best bet.