Wet Drywall - Is it irreversibly damaged?

Due to a water leak, I have some drywall which appears to be somewhat soaked. The paint is sort of bubbling off the drywall and the drywall doesn't appear real solid (sort of almost feels if I punched hard, I'd punch right through it kind of thing). Now the leak has been fixed. Will the wet drywall dry out good as new or is the soaked part damaged irreversibly so???
your better served replacing it, as it wouldnt patch well and will be permanetely soft and want to fall apart.
drywall is cheap. just replace it.
use water resistant type if you suspect it will get wet again

Replace it (cut and patch as required) and spray the interior of the wall cavity with a solution of bleach while you have it open. Depending on your climate this may be overkill but it's cheap insurance against mold. Especially if it was a drain leak as opposed to a supply line.
On 3 Aug 2006 15:57:12 -0700, ex snipped-for-privacy@mail2world.com wrote:

I'd just patch it with joint compound if needed.

That's probably a bad idea. I agree with another poster that drywall is cheap, but the labor is not necessarily so. You can learn to do it yourself, but if you don't want to it should be a reasonable cost to fix it. Maybe like $100, depending on how much painting has to be done.
first let it dry then note if the drywall is falling apart, which is to be expected.
its hard to properl;y patch a cracker, better to replace the area