Well water brown

I have well water and live in VA. I sometimes notice that the water comes out brown (maybe a ting of red to it). I see it when I fill a bath or after I flush the toilet. It's not always there. I have read some of the previous threads that address this, but some aspects of my situation are different.

If you fill a glass of water and compare it to clear water, you will definitely notice it. But it's not extremely "muddy".

If you fill the tub, it doesn't end after a few seconds like some other people. It goes for a while - it can be more than a tub full.

Another thing that makes my situation unique, we had a fire in our basement and were out of our house for 2 months (so no water usage). Plus, after the fire, all the plumbing equipment that was in the basement was replaced (i.e., hot water heater, tank, and water neutralizer).

I don't remember seeing water like this before the fire (except when the water had been shut off and then turned back on, then we'd see if for 10 seconds after we turned it back on).

Thanks.

Reply to
bgiblin

That seems to happen when a well sits unused for a while. Some friends of mine bought a house that had been vacant for months. The water was red/brown for the first couple of months after they moved in.

My well had not been used for 3+ years before I bought it. The water was red/brown so badly that you couldn't see through a glass of water and it would get worse the more water I used. I installed a whole-house filter that gave me clear tap water but the filters would plug in a week or two. Finally I called a well drilling company. They raised the pump a few feet in the well and then ran it completely dry. It took over 40 minutes, running full blast directly from the well head, to run it down. The color got worse continously for the first 20 minutes, leaving a streak of red down the lawn, and then began clearing. By the end it was almost totally clear and has been that way ever since.

Both of those examples are drilled wells in Northern VA.

Perhaps you just need to water the lawn for a while every night and/or install a filter. Get the water tested regardless. Lots of nasties can find their way in if things aren't right.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

You either have well infiltration somewhere letting in sediment (the rusty color sounds suspiciously like red VA clay) or you may be seing effects of rain causing some muddying of the well. Both could be symptoms of pinhole in the casing. How old is the well and how deep?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth
'Iffin' it's brown, flush it down!"

Muddy Waters indeed!

The gypsy woman told my mother Before I was born I got a boy child's comin' He's gonna be a son of a gun He gonna make pretty womens Jump and shout Then the world wanna know What this all about But you know I'm him Everybody knows I'm him Well you know I'm the hoochie coochie man Everybody knows I'm him

I got a black cat bone I got a mojo too I got the Johnny conkeroo I'm gonna mess with you I'm gonna make you girls Lead me by my hand Then the world will know The hoochie coochie man But you know I'm him Everybody knows I'm him Oh you know I'm the hoochie coochie man Everybody knows I'm him

On the seventh hours On the seventh day On the seventh month The seven doctors say He was born for good luck And that you'll see I got seven hundred dollars Don't you mess with me But you know I'm him Everybody knows I'm him Well you know I'm the hoochie coochie man Everybody knows I'm him

Reply to
Red Neckerson

"Red Neckerson" wrote

Wasn't he the guy that defended OJ Simpson and also died this past year?

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Duane, thanks for the response. Not sure how deep the well is; I'll look into that. The house is 18 years old, so I believe the well is that old too.

Reply to
bgiblin

We've been back in the house for close to 6 months and it's still happening. I think you're right, getting it tested makes sense.

Reply to
bgiblin