well question - hydrofracture?

Hi folks, I've got a well for our water supply, and it is a bit slow (only produces about 3 gal/minute). This is OK for normal use, but in the summer when I am watering the garden, the draw is more than the well can provide.

I've spoken to a well company, and they have suggested hydro-fracturing the well, but haven't told me what that really is..... Does anyone know?

thanks

--JD

Reply to
jd

When they did the gas well next door, they brought in several huge diesel powered pumps and forced water down the well in the hope of "fracturing" the earth/ rock at the bottom of the well, and allowing more flow. Form my understanding it is a double edged sword and could just as easily collapse something and reduce flow, which is what happened there.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Have a read of this ...

its a bit simple but may help you decide.

To me for the money spent , the storage tank concept seems best. However , if your well yeild is getting worse you may not have an option.

Reply to
marks542004

your probably better off drilling another well much deeper than the existing one.

use existing well for outdoor use, this way if old shallow well runs out of water new deep well will continue providing supply

how deepo is your well?

fracturing MAY ruin existing well be prepared to replace it immediately if this occurs

you might add downspout storage tanks for outdoor watering if you get a decent amount of rain in your area

Reply to
hallerb

As mentioned in other posts; 1) Deeper is nice but you need to do some investigating with neighbors and local well drillers who know the area. (our sitation was that deeper wells got into "nasty water")

2) A storage tank can work really well.

We just sold a place (after 27 years) that had only 1 1/2 gpm with a

1750 gal storage tank. We watered extensive landscaping and a modest garden. (no lawn though) Did it with a multi stationed drip system which worked well and the whole setup was a lot less expensive than a new well.

Bear

Reply to
bear

Have a friend who had the same problem. He was told to fire a high powered rifle down the well and the shock wave would fracture the underlying rock. He did. The only thing that fractured was the PVC well casing. So be careful about what others recommend.

Reply to
Red

Thats about the stupidest things I ever heard of. Lucky he didn't shoot his pump. Then the bullet left a chunk of lead in the water to contaminate it, What an idiot !!!

A better option might have been dynamite, and well drillers do use it at times. Of course one has to know the precise way and amount needed or the whole well becomes an underground rock pile.

I bet repairing that PVC casing was costly.

Reply to
georgetews