Weird wacky wiring question HELP ELECTRICAL PROS!

Allright folks here goes..

I am in the process of rewiring my bathroom while I am renovating it. I have a light that is controlled by a wall switch..this switch has only one set of romex in it, meaning it is a switch loop..ok...cool..well the light was wired up to old knob and tube (which I want to remove)...So i do some exploring..I turn off the breaker for the dining room, and go figure, no power to the light...so I have found the breaker that controls it.

Now i have the ceiling partially opened up and see a few sets of knob and tube up there so i can t just get rid of it all (as it may go to the 2nd story)

However, both sets seem to kind of go to the dining room light switch area. I took the outlet plateoff and what do I see?? THREE knob and tube conductors along with quite a few sets of romex. I am going to describe what I see in the outlet box (which comes off the basement) and in the switch box above the outlet (where there is Knob and Tube) Then I will ask my exact question.

Ok...the outlet is wired standard. there is a set of NM going in and a set of NM going up. (towards the switch ?)

In the switch box I have a set of NM coming in from both sides (Left and Right) on the bottom. There is also a single knob and tube wire coming in from the bottom. the K&T wire connects to the white of one of the incoming NM wires. The Black from that set goes to the LINE side of that switch. The other set of NM coming in...the BLACK is hooked to the LINE side of the switch. The White is wire nutted to one of the Knob and Tube wires coming from above the box. The other knob and tube conductor is connected to the LOAD side of the switch. I know my ceiling fan/dining light is wired Knob and tube, and this will be changed in the future. I am pretty sure the knob an tube wire on the LOAD side of the switch goes to that. However I am at a loss for the rest of it.

Now that I confused everyone...this is what i need to know. Judging by what I described, which wires are controlling the Knob and tube light? I am looking for a way i can clip something to one end of the wire and detect it at the other so i can find out what goes where.

I already have a power wire coming from the basement for the new bathroom light and as soon as I get this straightened out i can finish wiring my bathroom. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance everyone

Josh

Reply to
joshers17
[...]

Yes, you can get signal injectors that will help you trace the wiring.

Me, I'd just experiment with various wiring permutations until I found one that worked. Then cover the whole mess with drywall.

But I don't have trouble sleeping (thanks to chemistry).

Reply to
HeyBub

The best method is to scrap everything that you can do without and rewire right from the breaker panel to the room and everything in the room with new wire according to today's code.

Trying to make sense of, and trying to work with butchered old wiring makes for too much work and problems.

Reply to
EXT

Ok found what wires went from the bathroom switch to the dining room switch and scrapped them out...now just gotta trace the ones in the box to find out which K&T ones i am supposed to remove..

Thanks i will keep you guys posted

Josh

EXT wrote:

Reply to
joshers17

posted for all of us...

Asked and answered MANY times - do your own research.

Reply to
Tekkie®

The short stake for you.

Reply to
Goedjn

why THANK YOU sooo much tekkie...i couldnt have done it without your VALUABLE response..oh wait i DID do it...i figured it out..3 days ago

Josh

Goedjn wrote:

Reply to
joshers17

Gee ...shoulda done some reasearch on Tekkie...seems hes an asshat who answers everyones questions basically the same way.

That wasnt worth rais> why THANK YOU sooo much tekkie...i couldnt have done it without your

Reply to
joshers17

posted for all of us...

BWAAAAAA took you that long to figure out you lazy prick.

Reply to
Tekkie®

posted for all of us...

But yet you did you fundy window licker, besides you are a dufus top poster of low intelligence.

Reply to
Tekkie®

posted for all of us...

Hey Josh, did you ever realize what bad/unsafe/downright wrong information gets posted? I didn't think so...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Well, considering I am trying to wedge this in with working 12 hours shifts each day at work, yes...

And since I dont work in a troll feeding industry, this is my last response to you.

Tekkie=AE wrote:

Reply to
joshers17

posted for all of us...

No it won't be - you top posting fundy window licker. Boo hoo 12 hour days must have really dulled your research abilities (assuming you had some to begin with) but enough to reply and spew dorkus venom.

Reply to
Tekkie®