Weedeater problem: priming bulb

I went to use my weedeater for the first time this season, and the priming bulb has lost its spring. It doesn't pop back out, so I can't prime the engine.
I took the bulb unit to the local small engine repair shop, and they can't find a replacement for it.
Is there anything I can do to give the rubber back its spring?
What else can I do? I hate to buy a new weedeater because of this tiny problem. I replaced the fuel lines and filter last season, and it ran like brand new.

wind up a small wire spring to place inside
newsgroup with:

I had a similiar problem. If you kept the original owners manual, there's a section in the back that lists all the part numbers.
Weedeater and Poulan are one and the same. You may also be able to cross reference a Poulan primer bulb with a Weedeater.
You can also go to:
www.weedeater.com
and order directly (or call their 800 number): 1-877-500-7499 M-F 8AM-9PM
Just have your model number ready so they can send you the correct part.
hope that helps.
Mitch wrote:

Spray some starter fluid in the air filter. If you don't have any starter fluid, carburetor cleaner works as well with the added benefit of cleaning the throttle body.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

This is good advice...if you want to blow-it-up! (and don't tell me you've done it dozens-of-times)
Use WD-40 directly into the open throat of the carb. It adds lubricant and the propane (used as propellant) gives the pop.
Ask any small engine mechanic.
granted, starter fluid is overkill, but it WON'T blow it up. Starter fluid is so weak now days, you can barely inflate a tire with it any more.
--
Steve Barker

I would agree that the possibilities of it blowing up are a bit of a stretch. We should be aware that prolonged use of starting fluid, to start 2 cycle engines, exposes that engine to prolonged running without lubrication. Use it but only on occasion. My 2 cents worth.

I just happened upon this listing a few days ago, for the exact same reason:
http://item.express.ebay.com/Home-Garden_Outdoor-Power-Equipment__POULAN-WEEDEATER-TRIMMER-SAW-PRIMER-BULB-530-038874_W0QQitemZ270070380224QQihZ017QQddnZHomeQ20Q26Q20GardenQQadnZOutdoorQ20PowerQ20EquipmentQQptdiZ1259QQddiZ984QQcmdZExpressItem
Odds are, that's not going to work. Search on "Poulan primer bulb" on ebay, and you'll find quite a few listings, all pretty much the same thing. OEM. Some listings have really steep shipping, and some have $2.47 shipping, so shop a bit.
Here's a tinyurl to the same listing: http://tinyurl.com/ysnr2b (Some people don't trust tinyurl's...)
Mitch wrote:

I looked for a priming bulb for my leaf blower. I couldn't find one and decided to do a carb overhaul. The bulb was in the carburetor kit.
find another shop that actually has the part. They're very common.
--
Steve Barker