Water Stop Valve Next to House - Needed?

Page 2 of 2
Harry K wrote:

I went to the local plumbing supply store today. They had what you mentioned for $7 (long one) and $4 (short one). The long one was too close and it was recommended that I get 2 short ones and splice in a piece of 3/4" pipe. He said that it would only work as long as the pipe remained buried.
The plumber also said that soldering a coupler would the best long-term fix. So I bought a 12" coupler for $5. I'll cut it to fit and go from there. As long as I stay under the $90 house-call fee, I'll feel comfortable going this route.
mm wrote:

Yes, there are. Checked Lowe's just a few minutes ago and they had 3/4" couplers with or without a "stop". $0.77 a piece.
I'm gonna check out the local plumber store in the morning before I proceed. If I can get a 5/8" plug from them, I'll just solder that piece where the valve resides and be done with it.

I wish I'd know that 10 years ago. But at least I know it for the next time. Thanks.
That's not what you got the first time, right? If they had two bins of couplers, I didn't realize there was any difference, but I only remember there being one bin.

Plug? Why a plug? You mean where the valve stem would go...?
That sounds good.
Since you have already dug out the valve, why not: 1. Replace the valve with a new one. 2. Stack cinder blocks over it till level with the ground to create another access point.