Water Softener systems..

Page 2 of 3

Robert Neville wrote:

Right, Those worked up people, how do they breath the air? All contaminated.

I think the issue is it's one more source of sodium. We have so many.
I have softened water and I can taste the sodium (salty) after it regenerates. Newer systems may work better.
Master Betty wrote:

Hi, Then yours needs checking. Properly running softener does not cause water salty taste. I am very careful with Sodium intake as a kidney x-plant patient going on 16 years(born with bad kidneys). My family does not use salt in cooking or eating. Anyhow our drinking water comes from RO filter system.

I've done a little research and it's supposed to be normal. I asked the service tech and he confirmed that too. I may have over stated the saltiness. It barely noticeable but it's there.
I use a RO system for cooking and drinking. I have a large salt-water aquarium so I have to have RO water for it.
I've considered going to potassium but the price has gone up lately.

Lately? Don't be silly. Potassium costs plenty years ago.. The main reason I changed to Salt pellets was cost. I since moved to using salt crystals.
I'll guess the cost difference is 5-6 dollars per bag.
Oren wrote:

Hi, Potassium costs more and to me it does not do as well as salt crystal.

Ya know...come to think of it I think it was salty tasting before the last service call. You're probably more right than I am.
h wrote:

Canned soup? No. Bread? Only if I make it once or twice a year. I'm allergic to wheat/wheat flour/gluten so I can't eat the bread in the store. Five bucks for a pre-made mix that I have to add more ingredients to, and bake it myself, and it's only a small loaf! No pizza, pasta, gravy, cake or cookies, no hamburgers/hot dogs on a roll/bun, and much much more. I have to read the ingredients in everything I buy. Corn bread, they use some corn flour and add wheat flour, but I found one type of cornmeal from Martha White that doesn't have wheat!!! Yeah, Martha! They put wheat flour and gluten in a hell of a lot of stuff. I can't even eat Good n' Plenty candy, or black (real) licorice. (No such thing as strawberry licorice! It doesn't have LICORICE in it! Duh!) It's tricky when eating out. I am getting better using rice flour to cook with, ahhhh, PIZZA AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! Pizza, pizza, pizza!!!! I'm getting faster at making the shell/crust so I can enjoy my favorite food again. Oops! OK. Water softeners! Yep. Yep. Yep.
Tony Hwang wrote: ...

????
In what possible way might that be so and sez who?
Tony Hwang wrote:

"They", whoever "they" are, say that drinking distilled or RO'd water with no minerals in it is bad for you. It supposedly leaches the minerals out of your body. (Am I right assuming RO water has no minerals?)

Yes, indeed. Many people dislike the taste of soft water, and intentionally run hard water to the cold side of the kitchen sink. I dislike the taste of soft water so much that I don't even want to brush my teeth with it, so I run hard water to cold side of the bathroom sink, too.

Soft water is great for washing things (clothes, dishes, cars, or people). Not so great for drinking. And it's really bad for watering plants. But with soft water, your clothes and dishes will get cleaner, with less detergent, you won't need nearly as much soap when you shower or bathe, and you won't have nearly the effort cleaning the tub either.
Doug Miller wrote:

Hi, For plant specially indoor ones, we use rain water. We collect rain water into barrels, 3 of 50 gal. ones.

Yes, kitchen cold shut off is normal. Softeners are GREAT and NECESSARY if you have very hard water, like we do here. Without a softener you'll get mineral build up on pipes and fixtures and your laundry hoses will last months instead of years.

Aside from the cost to fill a pool with soft water, is that soft water will damage the pool plaster (based on my limited readings).

Search out for the model number and locate a manual if possible. Typically, resin should last maybe 15 years (depends). A dial motor may go out and not run the regenerations.
I replaced my softener a few years ago. I started using Potassium, changed to Salt pellets. Both never totally dissolved and would cake on the bottom of the media tank. Once it was 3-4 inches think, so the tank needed a good cleaning. I finally moved to using Salt Crystals - they dissolve best and avoid the caking made by pellets.

Did you read that on the internet? I can't imagine why it would be harmful. If anything I'd think it would be better for the heater.

Well, I haven't finished reading all of the Internet, yet.
Seems pool water needs calcium? Balanced water will do less harm to equipment?
hjfbi8$ti6$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

You don't need to drink with softened water - you don't need all that extra salt. Besides, it doesn't mix well with the Halpiradol that I take three times a day.
"I don't really have a replacement career, it's a very gnawing thing."
Bob Morein (215) 646-4894
Any advice to regenerate?
This softener is a Aquafine Aqua 1. We have no manuals, no stickers on the tanks to show who service or who install or where purchased. I have no idea of the volume or capacity. 20 gallons? 80 Litres maybe? There are two adults in our house. No kids or pets. We do a lot of cooking.
It appears the timing and valve is a Fleck 4620 or 5600 gear type timer. I'm guessing this via Google pictures. There is no information stamped or stickered on the valve or timer itself. Nothing digital.
It appears to "trip" the regenerating process at 1 am on the days the user selects. There's a tab behind a "clock" gear that does the "tripping" A dial with 12 days has tabs you select which days regeneration is to occur.
I have tried the manual regeneration process and it seems to work. I'm not sure the automatic tripping regeneration does come on or off. The clock gear gets stuck when I advance it to 1 am. How long after 1 am does it take these controls to go from "in serv" to "regen" OR does the program selector dial always stay "In Serv."
Anyone with familiarity on these Fleck manual timers please offer some advice. I'd be grateful.
D.

http://www.texsonwater.com/5600%20service%20manual.pdf
"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message

Yup I found the manual for the 4650 and 5600. Still doesn't answer all my questions, although these seem to be well made units.