Water Pressure w/ Softener

Greetings all,

I appreciate any ideas/pointers people can share with me..

I am on a well and have a water softener. My softener had not had salt in it for many months as the "hard" water doesn't bother me. I am having a guest come that is more sensitive than I so I went out this past Saturday and bought 3 X 40 lb bags of salt and Saturday evening before bed I filled up the softener.

Sunday morning I woke and there was nearly 0 pressure in all my indoor water faucets. There was enough to get the shower head dripping but that was about it.... I resigned myself to a crummy shower and hopped in. About 3 minutes in, I heard my well pump snap on, and BAM, pressure was restored. Yippie. Transient anomoly I said to myself. The rest of the day - water pressure was fine (though I was gone for most all of the day).

Monday morning, I wake up, same problem. No pressure. I curse softly, then turn the shower on and let it run for a few minutes while I surf the web, figuring as soon as my well pump turns on my problems will be magically solved again.. this time - no luck. The pump turns on but I don't get any pressure still. Crummy shower.

So that's where I am at. A little googling shows there is generally a "bypass valve" on softeners - a valve between the incoming and outgoing water pipes but I don't see one on my system. I suspect that in the many months of sitting stagnant some junk has built up in the output of my softener.. does that sound like a possible culprit? I suspect that for months with it empty I was getting water straight from my well and bypassing the softener. But then again in both circumstances I would imagine my hot water is coming from the hot water tank so I can't imagine how the softener being "junked up" would really play a role. Maybe the softener thing is a red herring and there is a problem "earlier" in the plumbing system - IE the well and pump, etc...

I am painfully "unhandy" around the house, so pretty much my question (aside from anything super easy and obvious) would be a recommendation of who to call - a plumber? A water softener company?

Thanks so much for any help! Here's to a life with good showers...

Matt

Reply to
Matt Fuerst

Matt,

Do you have a bypass valve? Did you bypass the softener when you were not using it? Is your cold water soft now? Can you bypass the softener now? If you are unhandy I think you should buy several gallons of water from the supermarket and call a plumber.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Did the recharge cycle complete? I am guessing it runs at 2AM each night but the clock may not be set. You may have a sticking valve in the softener from not running all that time. Those are the little metal doodads the cam operates

Reply to
gfretwell

An awesome question, which I should have mentioned in the original posting.. as of this morning the Softener read "3" (since it has a single digit LCD) which I believe means 3 am.. it was making what I would call a "hissing" sound and doing something.. so I guess it may well hve been in process... Sorry for the ignorance on my part... I forwarded the time to 8... I guess I will know more when I get home from work today and see the status of my water pressure...

Matt

Reply to
Matt Fuerst

You have made a lot of assumptions, have you even looked at the manual. 3 sounds more like an operating code or an error code. Nobody in their right mind would make a product with a one digit clock (Duh)

Reply to
PipeDown

BTW, you need to run a manual regen FIRST time out with salt in to prime the resin. Timers are periodic (every few days) or demand driven (so many gallons flow thru for a given hardness).

The bypass valve is generally a horizontal plunger that connects the inlet and outlet pipes on the back of the control head. It has arrows on it to indicate which direction is In and Out.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

call a well service company they can install and service tanks and conditioners as well as the well. most plumbers dont work on wells or conditioners. scott

Reply to
rogersdawn2

Call a water softener company. When I moved in my softener did not work (similar scenario -- hadn't been used in a long time). I had a plumber here doing some plumbing repair and asked him about it, and he specifically told me to call the softener guy for this. I guess technically it's not plumbing.

Jo Ann PS: In my case, turned out timer was broken and had to be replaced.

Reply to
jah213