Water pipe replacement question

Page 3 of 3
On 5/29/2012 8:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

wow. what a pain. most trenchers only go 5' at best. So all those in your area done with a backhoe, i presume?
--
Steve Barker

"My" area is now AL, in process of moving to GA. ;-) Vermont is too cold, too long, and the Democrats, too incredible.
I presume they use back hoes. Why not, they're needed for the basement/footings, anyway.
On 5/29/2012 10:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

yeah, i suppose. I was just thinking of the 440' i'm gonna run to the horse area from my existing hydrant. A 4" wide trench 30" deep with a trencher that goes about as fast as a slow walk is a hellofalot better than having to backhoe that distance. <G>
--
Steve Barker
On Tue, 29 May 2012 23:21:50 -0500, Steve Barker

You live a sheltered life, Steve.
On 5/29/2012 11:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

hardly. I just live in the real world.
--
Steve Barker

I live at the NJ shore, not a severe winter environment at all. Water pipes are routinely buried 4 ft here. At 18 to 24" we'd be having frozen pipes. Here's a map that shows the frost line for the continental USA.
On Tue, 29 May 2012 23:32:17 -0500, Steve Barker

Just real for YOU (and admitedly many others) - but not THE real world. In THE real world there exists many "strange" things - like Permafrost. And all kinds of other situations that do not exist in YOUR sheltered corner of the globe.
<...long story snipped...>

<...snipped...>
Well, Toto, I guess we're not in Kansas anymore...
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
On 5/28/2012 10:37 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Thats the standard arrangement in my area and the dozen states around me. Typically the only time they use outside meter pits is for the few applications when there isn't a heated space.

I don't know nothin' but in this day and age, is there no tool to find your leak before you dig. They invent new stuff all the time.
How deep is the pipe? Is the dirt wet some place? Can you hammer a rod, (steel or maybe wood, pointed maybe, thin maybe) into the dirt and see if it comes out wet, like using a straw to tell if a cake is done yet)?
Can you call the city water department and ask how they find leaks? Ask if they can do it for you. If not, ask if they can tell you a private plumber who will do it, or what words to use when shopping. He can find the leak and you can do the digging, etc. Just tell him upfront what you are hiring him for. And read whatever you sign.
Have you called Miss Utility, or whateve they call it there, to have them mark your electric, gas, phone, etc. to make sure you don't pierce or cut other utilities when you probe or dig? It's free.
P&M

I live in rural Oregon. No one out here has leak detection equipment. I did talk to the water department and they bluntly told me it wasn't there problem, go fix it myself and don't bug them about it. I talked to a few plumbers, and the only outfits with acoustic leak detectors are in the city, and it would cost more to have them come here to find a leak than to just replace the pipes :(

I guess this company advertises fairly often, but last night I really notice that they were saying, "Let us inspect your ppes with a camera instead of a back-hoe." I'm sure they were rerferring to drain pipes, not supply pipes, but it was still a coincidence and an example of how people notice whatever is current in their lives.
I over reacted a bit. Oops, sorry.
Rather than saying that "pex *is* joined with barb fittings and round rings" you should say that "pex *can* be joined with barb fittings and round rings".
Pex can also be joined with Sharkbites.