water pipe insulation

Had my crawlspace insulated with R-19 batts last week. The water pipes are not insulated at this time but I guess I can do that myself. Is there truly any worth in doing so? Any advice on what to use and any gotchas? All my previous houses have been on slab so I am unfamiliar with under house necessities. I live in SE VA.
badgolferman wrote:

If you didn't need to before, you undoubtedly will now. The lost heat previously keeping them from freezing won't be there now so the susceptibility will be much higher since the insulation was added.
Particularly pay attention to hot water lines on or near exterior walls, then other smaller distribution lines and finally the mains.

does your area freeze?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

If it didn't think OP would asking about pipes???
Ever been to Norfolk in midwinter????

The wrap-around fiberglass has a slightly higher R-value when properly installed but about all I ever use in Central KY is the pre-formed foam stuff such as this:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId!374-2249-444-144-06U&lpage=none
I miter short sections to cover the elbows and then fill in the straight gaps. Some brands have a tape over-lap and some have a pre-glued edge with a peel and stick. Regardless of which I use I add a little duct tape at the elbows, joints and about every foot of run.
If I have a pipe close to a vent or wall I might add a small section of regular wall insulation to protect from blowing air.
If you can not picture in your mind how to cut the elbows I will upload a picture somewhere for you. Also note there are different sizes for the different pipe sizes.
--
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

Aren't there preformed elbows and tees available?
badgolferman wrote: ...

Maybe, but never seen them and they definitely wouldn't be worth the cost. All it takes is a couple slits w/ utility knife.
dpb wrote:

If someone could upload a picture of how to do that it would be appreciated.

This is a little self-serving on my part.
http://househomerepair.com/Plumbing/Insulating-water-pipes.php
Thanks for the article suggestion.
Colbyt
Colbyt, 10/22/2008,5:46:07 PM, wrote:

I'm honored! I've never been the subject of an article before...
Thanks for the picture and the website. It's bookmarked now.
badgolferman wrote:

If you decide to insulate the pipes:
1. Go to Walmart and pick up a wad of "Pool Noodles." 2. Cut a slit in them with a table saw. 3. Fit around the pipes and secure with super duct tape or tie-straps.
"Pool Noodles" cost about $1.50, are five-foot long, and about 3" in diameter. They're made of polyethelyne and work swell as insulation (at least for my air conditioner).

Closed and open cell Foam is sold in 4 ft lengths for HW its a must, get the type with preglued seams you pull off a clear plastic. Closed cell is expensive and better its used for AC lines, but open cell is good.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:36:03 +0200 (CEST), "badgolferman"

Yes, it is well worth the effort. I'd insulate both hot and cold. There are different sizes of split insulation for pipes, get the correct size. Quality duct tape will help with seams and corners.