Water on my bathroom ceiling...

Could be just regular condensation. See if its still there when nobody takes a shower after a couple of hours. Do you open the window when taking a shower to let the steam out?

Reply to
Mikepier

Does a water pipe run above your ceiling? Perhaps it is sweating. Or is there an A/C unit in your attic that has a possible leak in the drip pan or drain pipe? Just throwing out suggestions.

Reply to
Mikepier

It's probably a spot where there is no insulation above. It gets colder, so more condensation. Insulate it, and/or make sure everyone uses the exhaust fan when showering.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

This morning while in the shower, I noticed a few water droplets on the bathroom ceiling near the window. As I looked further, it appear that perhaps a 6-7sq ft area was damp on teh ceiling. I checked other rooms on that side of the house and it didnt seem to be any water there.

There was rain in my area from Fri til early Tue morning (~8 am) and I didn't noticed any water there last night. I guess this may be a stupid question, but is it a roof leak even when the water didn't show up for a day or so? I haven't had a chance to check the attic for where it could be coming from either. I have never noticed it leak in other heavy rain we had earlier in the summer.

Thanks

Reply to
Me

Could be. It takes a while for water to soak through he drywall.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No I don't have a window open, but it has never condensed (?) before and i noticed the water on the ceiling at the beginning of the shower.

I was think it might be condensation b/c it was pretty cold outsdie and all the windows had water on them, but none of the other ceilings in any room did, so I am thinking it isn't that.

Reply to
Me

No on both questions...thanks for taking time to respond.

The only thing I can think of is there is a ventilation fan in the ceiling that has piping (similiar to what you would see on a dryer) running to a vent in the side of the house....~15-20 ft. The water doesn't seem to be the worst around the fan though. Unless it is leaking around the vent in the side of the house, and running down the piping....but as far as I can recall, the piping is laying on the attic's floor/insulation.

Guess will have to wait to check it out when I get home....

Reply to
Me

The thing about the drywall is that it was wet, but when I touched/pushed it with my finger, it didn't seem like it was soaked through. It didn't make an impression in the ceiling or anything....But it also doesn't seem to be coming from any other source.... Will have to be patient and wait til I get home to check it out.

thanks for responding though.

Reply to
Me

Probable need to check your vent pipe collar on your roof. It might need to be replaced; water can travel down the pipe be absorbed in the insulation and not show up for a while.

Reply to
rivahrebel

-> This morning while in the shower, I noticed a few water droplets on the

-> bathroom ceiling near the window. As I looked further, it appear that

-> perhaps a 6-7sq ft area was damp on teh ceiling. I checked other rooms on

-> that side of the house and it didnt seem to be any water there.

->

-> There was rain in my area from Fri til early Tue morning (~8 am) and I

-> didn't noticed any water there last night. I guess this may be a stupid

-> question, but is it a roof leak even when the water didn't show up for a day

-> or so? I haven't had a chance to check the attic for where it could be

-> coming from either. I have never noticed it leak in other heavy rain we had

-> earlier in the summer.

Are you certain it isn't just condensation from your shower?

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Is your fan vented correctly? Some people who install these fans just vent them into the attic, and it could be the discharge vent is blowing right on the sheetrock. You said when you looked in the attic there was insulation everywhere. Did you pull up the insulation where the leak is occuring? A lot of times the insulation can trap water causing it to pool on the sheetrock. This is what happened to me yesterday. There was a leak in my kitchen ceiling due to the heavy rains in NY and when I went into the attic to look, I could not find the leak, until I pulled away one of the bats of insulation and found a big puddle on the sheetrock. Turned out there was a small leak in my roof right where a roofing nail was portuding in. Another idea, is there a way to take a shower without using the fan just to see what happens?

Reply to
Mikepier

I checked when I got home yesterday and there seems to be insulation covering everywhere. There didn't seem to be any leaks from the roof either. When I showered this morning there was nothing at the beginning, but when I was finished, the consdensation was back. I think that the fan may need to be cleaned or something, doesn't appear to be doing its job.

BTW, people have no choice but to use the fan, it is wired on the same circuit as the light.