water noise

A year old house is starting to have a noise problem when water, hot or cold, is turned off in all locations. Coming from the pipes behind the walls, a low frequency groan lasting several seconds . This is a new phenomenon never noticed during the first year. I am wondering if the outside water pressure regulator is going bad. I have no other ideas. Any comments help appreciated, Seamus J. Wilson
Thank you for the idea. Will try. Best, Seamus J.

sligo wrote:

almost always caused by a failing toilet ballcock.
Have someone create the groan while you go around and either shut off each toilet supply in turn or hold the tank float up. That should tell you which one to replace.
Jim

See:
http://www.wmueller.com/home/papers/umap.html
Nick

<snip>
You don't happen to live in or near Amityville, do you?
Steve ;-)

I've had that happen a couple times. Try bending the arm on the float downward a little and see if that takes care of the problem....