Water heaters

Page 5 of 5
On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 22:30:19 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

All muy lfe except when camping

Dude! Are you buying propane bottles at the local 7/11? My last fill two weeks ago was $1.72/gallon.

It depends on what you are paying for electricity. At 12¢ per kWh, the electrical cost comparison figure to a gallon of propane will be $3.24.
http://www.propane101.com/propanevselectricity.htm
Furthermore, electricity prices are expected to rise every year. Propane prices are held in check by the price of oil and natural gas. Domestic supplies of both are expected to increase thanks to the increasing in drilling on private lands.
On 4/9/2013 7:25 PM, Robert Neville wrote:

With the USA on the fossil fuel energy production increase they have been on the last few years, I would be doing everything I could to get off of Electricity for those large energy users like heat and cooking...

Natural gas fired generators should reduce the cost of electricity too.

in

o weeks

have

e prices

s of both

e lands.

I see heat as being a large energy user and electric resistance heat is usually a lot more expensive then other options. But for the typical residential user, I don't believe cooking amounts to very much energy usage as a part of their overall bill. And most electricity is also generated by fossil fuel, namely coal, which we know we have far more of than oil or nat gas. And using electricity indirectly, ie via a heat pump system, can be a cost effective option, depending on where you live.
On 4/9/2013 12:46 PM, KenK wrote:

Dude: Nobody knows where you live so how can they help you.
Natural gas is the cheapest and it doesn't make sense why YOU aren't using it, but since you didn't tell us where you live...
have you considered Oil?
Since you didn't tell us where you live nobody can help you with your electric theory, but in many places electricity rates change during the day so it could cost double the BTU during those certain times.
I use natural gas for Stove/Oven, Water heater, Pool heater, Dryer, and Furnace and it's the cheapest per BTU where I live and I'm not subjected to crazy electrical rates that fluctuate during the day...
You'd have to compare prices of fuel sources. Somewhere on the net, has to be the BTU per gal for propane. Fuel oil is about 130,000 BTU per gal, can't remember for propane. I know 1500 watt space heater puts out 5,200 BTU. Got to be some way to compare.
Propane has the advantage that it's on your location. When the thunder storm hits, and the power goes off, you still have propane in your tank. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in the past.
If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.
What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?
TIA

Stormin Mormon wrote:

But like you, here in the rural areas of NYS, a portable generator is as common as the pickup truck, and unlike propane or fuel oil, electricity doesn't have to be delivered to your house by someone in a big truck at their convenience.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY