Water heaters

Since I'm faced with the strong prospect of replacing my failing water heater I'm curious to learn what others think of the tankless variety compared to the contemporary water heater tanks. Single homeowner not having to deal with others showering, etc. Might be inclined to use the shower while a clothes or dishwasher were operating though.

Although I'm leaning towards gas fired, electric could be considered as an option if cost effective.

Reply to
Jim

From what I've read here tankless heaters aren't held in high regards.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Electric on-demand will have a larger electric requirement than a standard electric water heater. Do some googling on them before jumping into it....

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Telstra

A single user can easily save 20-40% with Ng tankless, i do , I have a Bosch. Takagi, Rinnai and Bosch are good brands. The large Bosch is made by Takagi. The only drawback and you learn to live with it is at under 1/2 gal flow it wont kick on. Tankless are great, your negative responses will be from non users that still think tanks are the best. Tankless dont loose efficiency every year as tank do, from sedament buildup. On a 500$ Bosch I am getting a 4 yr payback, and that is at gas prices 4 yrs ago.

Reply to
ransley

If the unit is installed by hacks, that's normally the case.

However, tankless heaters (if sized and installed properly) will offer the OP a very reasonable operational cost.

Reply to
<kjpro

I&#39;m getting ready to install a Bosch gas fired tankless heater in a small beauty shop. It&#39;s rated at 4.3 gal per min. The other unit I installed was an electric unit and the problem you have to look out for is the flow rate. If you want the kind of hot water flow you&#39;d get from a standard tank type heater, you will have to get a very high capacity tankless heater. For high capacity, the gas unit would be the way to go. A high capacity electric unit requires a lot of power. The electric unit I installed was a two element unit that required a separate 2 pole 40amp breaker for each heater element/tank (about the size of a big soft drink cup). The larger electric heaters require more than a 100amp supply, ie expensive. If you have natural gas you only need a 3/4" supply line with the proper capacity and of course the correct vent and air supply for combustion. I will post my results.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

was not worth it stayed with My 60 electric and do just fine halve the cost of the gas unit in these parts and no hole in my wall.Also have friends who wern&#39;t to happy with thiers not enough output to keep up with demand shower and tap or washer all at once.

Reply to
jim

wrote in news:1575d$46e1ffdc$9440c41e$12546 @STARBAND.NET:

Still denigrating folks you really have no first hand knowledge of. Tisk, tisk.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Many factors including water quality, fuel availability, and design flow rates (both min and max) must be considered. If more than a tank full of water per day is used the fact is that the storage cost of hot water is not particularly high with current tanks. Compare a forced vent water heater tank system with a tankless and it may be substantially cheaper and more convenient at the end of the day.

Reply to
Clark

The gas unit that I&#39;m readying to install is going to replace an existing gas full sized tank unit that already has a 5" vent. To put an electric tankless water in the same place would require a complete new electrical service. A HO lot O money. The Bosch heater I&#39;m installing has no power vent or an electrical connection.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

you need large supply lines for gas tankless, and do check your miinimum wanter water temperature, often incoming water can be very cold.

tankless rarely save much because of their high initial cost, service requirements, you need local service tech, and the warranty is never more than 10 years.

newer regular tanks are foam insulated with nearly no standby losses and very reliable requiring little or no service

if a gas tankless using electricity a power outage means no hot water at all.........

standard tanks have enough hot water for at least a couple showers..

if you desire endless hot water get a 50 or 75 gallon regular high BTU TANK. 75,000 BTU IS OVER TWICE a regulat 30K btu tank

regular tanks are pretty cheap tankless cost a fortune and manufacturers require pro install for valid warranty...

Reply to
hallerb

Yeah, I forgot that most people don&#39;t have electricity to their homes, Idiot!

Reply to
<kjpro

wrote in news:956dd$46e233d6$9440c41e$28197 @STARBAND.NET:

I know your are but what am I?

Here&#39;s the problem with fuel: Fuel choices include natural gas, propane, and electricity. Any of those systems may require substantial upgrades to convert from a tank system to tankless. Electricity in particular would probably require a larger breaker and wire if the OP wanted substantial hot water rate. A natural gas system might require a larger line if going from a 40,000 btu/hr tank to a 200,000 btu/hr tankless.

Reply to
Clark

Like most things, there are pros and cons. The biggest pro, IMO, is the fact that with a correctly sized gas tankless you have unlimited hot water. And you do save on energy by eliminating standby loss.

The negatives are, for any reasonable whole house use it has to be gas, as electric would require the entire typical service capacity. And even with gas, you may need to upgrade the supply lines to meet the demands, as opposed to just dropping in a replacement std unit. That combined with the cost of the unit means that it can take a long time to recover the higher upfront cost.

You just have to decide what is important to you, how long you expect to live there, etc.

Reply to
trader4

Here&#39;s the problem with your post...

You&#39;re clueless and ignorant.

Reply to
<kjpro

How&#39;s the operational cost any more expensive than a traditional electric water heater?

A: It&#39;s not.

Reply to
<kjpro

Whatever. But he&#39;s right.

Reply to
HeyBub

wrote in news:d76c6$46e2dc30$9440c41e$22030 @STARBAND.NET:

Maybe I&#39;m clueless and ignorant, maybe I&#39;m not.

It is for certain that you&#39;re a dancing monkey boi. I post and you dance. Just keep on dancing monkey boi.

Reply to
Clark

Finally, an accurate post.

Reply to