Water Heater again!

Philo is talking about the pilot light size adjustment, not the water heater temperature adjustment, which you are talking about.
Apparently on some or all GWH, there is a screw that adjusts the size of the pilot flame. The screw is I read here covered by a cap. I'm thininking mayb a plastic cap that just pushes on over the screw and comes off by pulling, if you can get your fingers on it, or maybe by lifting the cap at the bottom in two places, perhaps one place at a time, if you can't get your fingers in there. Since the plumber just changed the pilot light assembly, it seems at least one would have had the pilot light adjustment correct, but maybe not if there is inadquate gas pressure in general. I don't know how long it will take the gas company to check the pressure and then fix it if is low. Maybe you can save yourself the wait by opening up the valve a little bit.
If you find the screw, keep track of many turns you make - by looking at the white label on the side of a screwdriver, or by using a Sharpie to make a line on the side of any tool you are using that doesn't have a label -- and write it down. and if you later find that wasn't the real problem. you can turn it back to where it was.
The honeycomb thing sounds like a lead to me. Do you have one? Did it get changed when the pilot light assembly got changed? Is it dirty? Was it dirty. I have to go now.

10 minutes is enough to heat the water more than 105? Maybe if the water that comes out is right where the heat is applied, but even then, does't water convection mix the just heated water with cold water?

I don't know. I would just as soon not poke around in there.

I don't know. Something didn't sound right to me. Water went to cold, then it was only on for 10 minutes and 15 hours later it was still hot?

You can't count on there being a couple these days. There might be three of them, or four, or two of the same kind. If there are two of the same kind, it won't bend when it gets hot, because they expand at the same rate.

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 15:47:00 -0700 (PDT), BenDarrenBach

Or there might be a pile of them.
On 9/4/2014 10:26 PM, micky wrote:

>>> newer. It has a Thermo...something

Thermopile: N. The domed, mounded up mass of used thermostats back at the shop, cause the boss never throws anything away.
Thermopile: V. The act of technician putting thermo- stats on top of the thermopile.
Thermopiler: N. The technician who is forced to put the thermostat on the pile, rather than throw it out.
Gomerpiler: N. A technician who only replaces thermostats but doesn't know how to diagnose anything else. A home owner can be a Gomerpiler.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, September 5, 2014 6:38:50 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

<Thankfully snipped>
Thermo-pile: Noun; A hemorrhoid induced by a over-heated Jacuzzi.

I looked on the receipt. It does have a thermopile.

Well, I live alone, and I've gone two days with hot water after turning off the wh. Just me, no laundry or dishwasher. Maybe I was going out of town so I turned it off early. Or maybe there was a power outage.
I have an electric wh. They may have better insulation than gas do, although I think it was just an inch and a half of the pink fiberglass. Is that a lot? . How much less could gas have?
(They talk about a glass tank and I was worried bringing it home and down to the basement that I'd break the glass. It's not glass. It's bendable "plastic:, somewhere between milky white and clear, with maybe glass in it for all I know There is no way it could break. Are others any different?)

I personally don't use a lot of hot water. I take quick showers, rarely use the dishwasher and almost always wash clothing in cold. But... Both daughter and husband take super long showers and she is guilty of letting the shower run for 10-20 minutes or longer before getting in it. Twice she has fallen asleep with the shower running. I don't even notice until I realize that it is very quiet and then I can feel the steam wafting out here. By then the entire room is dripping wet. Neither she nor husband will use the vent fan! Oh and body take super hot showers. I can not bear to get in the water at the temperature they do.
On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 15:23:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"

What is the make/model of the water heater?

Not sure of the model. It's on there somewhere as I heard the plumber talking about it. I just didn't see it. It's a 50 gallon, Bradford White.
On Friday, September 5, 2014 4:27:27 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

Something like: DS1-50S6FBN

I know it's on there. I just didn't see it.
On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 02:30:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"

This is acceptable behavior from a daughter?
--
I kill-file all messages posted through Google Groups.

It's not acceptable for anyone but it's still what happened.

You're right.
You-2 should lay down the law. This is a tremedous waste of everything. gas or electricity; water, and the steam is not good for the house. Even in the biggest house it only takes 2 minutes for the hot water to arrive.
As to hot showers, my mother thought hot baths were wonderful. She begged me to try them and finally promised she'd never say another word if I tried one once. I did and I hated it. She kept her word, though.
I take warm baths, and have to add more hot water every so often. I brought in a thermometer to find out if the water was getting colder or if I was just getting used to it, but I have only done one inconclusive test.
My new water heater was not set as hot as the previous one, also bought from Sears. I've been setting it up a little at a time, and then one time it jumped up a degree or so on its own. I'm not sure how hot I want it to be. It's nice that I can still put my hand in straight hot water without burning myself, but if I don't make the tub hot enough on the first 3/4's, just adding hot water is not enough to finish the job.

We used to take baths. We had to quit for a variety of reasons. One being getting in and out of the tub without injury. We have a stupidly huge jetted tub. I do prefer the tub but can't get in and out well and the water heater simply isn't big enough to heat enough water to fill it.
On 9/6/2014 3:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Temperature should be 120 to 130. Any hotter is a scalding potential problem, anything less invites bacteria to thrive.
Filling a big tub takes lots of water and energy. Showers can be much more efficient unless you buse them running the water for a long time before getting in, etc.

Yes. I try if possible to have us take back to back showers so the water is already hot. Otherwise, I only let it run long enough to get hot. This time of year it doesn't really matter to me. It's so hot in that bathroom the way it is, the last thing I want is a hot shower!

both daughter and husband have many behaviours that most would find unacceptable. daughter refuses to cook most of the time but has special food needs that the others don't. she also seems incapable of shopping for food correctly.
it's obvious that with the major heat demand being the showers being abused, a 50 gallon tank is absurd. smaller tank will teach them to use water more wisely...eventually