Water Heater again!

New is relative - in a dirty environment it doesn't take very long for the honeycomb filter to get dirty.

Pilots for gas water heaters are still quite common. It's not an energy loss situation (like an oven range) because the heat from the pilot still goes into the water.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Hi, For now light a candle and stick it in the burner chamber, does it stay lit? If so, gas sup[ply is OK? Venting or gas supply, what else could be the trouble? How is the venting done? Tied into furnace stack or all by itself? Often we tend to over look most simple basic things experts do that all the time too wasting time. What kinda chimney?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
clare

Hi, Most experienced techs often over look simplest basic things. Some times green horns are better at trouble-shooting. Rule of thumb, don't leave out any even slightest possibility.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Unless you left the vehicle idle, or it sprung a leak, or someone used a "mexican credit card", or your brakes started to drag, or you pulled a heavy load or had heand - all of which will cause the vehicle to run out of gas sooner than the odo would indicate.

Reply to
clare

OK

Reply to
philo

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Does Moe seem like the kind of guy who would do or not notice any of those things? He doesn't seem like that to me. So your comment is simply contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. The sure sign of an asshole.

Reply to
Zaky Waky

My house is nearly 120 years old and the basement is pretty dusty and I've never had any such problem.

I've been informed that they still do make water heaters with pilot lights, so I know the OP is not trolling.

I did just recall however that I had a gas appliance (can't recall if it was a drier or a water heater) with a pilot light adjustment.

If it was set too low it would alway go out...I'd check that .

Reply to
philo

Pardon me, Zaky Waky, but I think you are the one acting like an asshole. Clare gets _far_ more respect than you do. phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Hi, It sure does. The adj. screw is in the gas vlve body. Little cap covers the hole which has adj. screw pilot flame. My camping trailer WH had it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This water heater stuff looks pretty straightforward

here is the first Google hit

The contractor must be pretty inexperienced

Reply to
philo

They are working on it now. There is a bad part. Something to do with letting the gas in. Also the venting may not be right. They were given the International venting code but the guy wants to check the Washington Code before doing anything because changing the venting will be expensive. There is no Thermocouple on this kind. It's newer. It has a Thermo...something else. Can't remember the name but it's fine.

Reply to
Julie Bove

They may have to redo the venting. We'll see.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Plumber got it to light right away but he had difficulty moving the button. I said that happens. It's either easy to move or it's sticky. There are no other gas appliances. He does think the venting may be wrong for this kind of water heater but may have been fine for the old one.

Reply to
Julie Bove

By itself. Don't know what kind of chimney. But they did the flame test before and said that it wasn't drafting right.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Nope.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Because the garage is so small, the venting goes at an odd angle. It's complicated to explain but basically it needs to have a good 6 feet going straight up and this doesn't.

Reply to
Julie Bove

The gas pressure actually checked out fine.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I have two of them now. They seem to be checking everything.

Reply to
Julie Bove

The plumbers are checking it now. It's just frustrating that I have already paid enough out in repairs to at least equal the cost of the original tank and installation.

Reply to
Julie Bove