Water Heater again!

Page 1 of 6
Oh so annoying! I had called the plumber because it was getting to where our replacement water heater had to be lit once a day. Initially we had a new one installed on New Year's Eve, 2009. It worked for a while but then I had to keep relighting it. At first it was perhaps every three months, then every week then like every half an hour.
They never could find out what was wrong with it. They replaced every part they could and finally just gave us a new one. And it was fine at first. But the same problems started happening up until now! I just relight it perhaps 2 hours ago when daughter took a shower and ran out of hot water. I had gotten to the point of being OCD in checking it to make sure it was still lit. And it had been the last time I looked. And even though it is a 50 gallon tank, apparently when it goes out, the water cools very quickly.
So I relit it, called the plumber because it was getting to where I had to light it daily. Plumber asked me some questions about it and I had to go out there to look at it. And it it wasn't lit! So it went out less than 20 minutes after I lit it. And now it won't light at all. Grrr... Grrr... Grrr...
I am sick of this. And they can't do anything about it tonight. Guy said he could come out here but I would have to pay $150 just to get him out as it would be after hours charges. But he had no clue whether or not he could do anything about it tonight. So... We wait.
Only thing I can figure is that it might be the venting. That is the only thing they didn't check. They did say that the last one wasn't drafting properly or something like that.
I thought maybe that it had something to do with humidity. We had a few humid days lately and it seemed to go out when it was humid. Then the torrential downpour throughout the night last night that knocked the power out. Amazingly enough the thing stayed lit through all that.
On 09/04/2014 02:02 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

(Snip> if it was not drafting properly, then it was senseless to attempt a repair or replacement...the venting must be fixed!
The venting was either done wrong or your chimney may be plugged.

I have no clue and apparently neither do they. It did work for a while. Now it simply will not light at all. I did try again twice.
On 09/04/2014 04:41 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

<snip>

Maybe have a chimney expert look at it.

They may have to redo the venting. We'll see.
Julie Bove wrote:

For now light a candle and stick it in the burner chamber, does it stay lit? If so, gas sup[ply is OK? Venting or gas supply, what else could be the trouble? How is the venting done? Tied into furnace stack or all by itself? Often we tend to over look most simple basic things experts do that all the time too wasting time. What kinda chimney?

By itself. Don't know what kind of chimney. But they did the flame test before and said that it wasn't drafting right.
On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 02:41:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"

I agree that venting may be the problem (bird nest?) but usually, it would light and then go out once the burner was on. Could be the overheating burned out the thermocouple or something though.
Be sure they check the vent at both ends and run something through it.
wrote in message

They are working on it now. There is a bad part. Something to do with letting the gas in. Also the venting may not be right. They were given the International venting code but the guy wants to check the Washington Code before doing anything because changing the venting will be expensive. There is no Thermocouple on this kind. It's newer. It has a Thermo...something else. Can't remember the name but it's fine.
On Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:13:54 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote: There

Thermopile...perhaps?

That might be.
On 9/4/2014 3:02 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Any evidence of condensation dripping on pilot light? If in the end you can't get it to work and have to replace the water heater, get one with a pilot-less ignition.
On Thursday, September 4, 2014 7:03:14 AM UTC-4, Retirednoguilt wrote:

We went through this same situation with Julie months ago. Suggestions were made about checking the venting, how it's vented, any wind blowing into garage where the WH is located, possible bad thermocouples, ie all the obvious things. As I recall, the TC had been replaced at least once and the gas control valve had also been replaced. And I think it happened with the garage door open or shut, ruling out some sudden gusts blowing into the garage. I don't recall hearing how or if it was resolved then. But it's kind of surprising that she would pay for a plumber to come out, again, and still no one has checked the venting? How about some pics at least of the venting?
IDK exactly how venting could cause this either. Even if the vent were blocked, the pilot light wouldn't go out. It doesn't even need the vent for the pilot light to remain lit. For it to go out, I would think it would need the venting to be arranged so that somehow it results in a sudden gust hitting the pilot light. I presume the pilot orifice, tube between the valve and orifice have been carefully checked?
If she can't find someone competent, then the other option is to just bite the bullet and get a new WH, one that doesn't use a pilot light.

Because the garage is so small, the venting goes at an odd angle. It's complicated to explain but basically it needs to have a good 6 feet going straight up and this doesn't.

Nope.
On Thursday, September 4, 2014 3:02:28 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

a realtive of mine had this problem, turned out to be low gas pressure in her neighborhood, it was a intermittenly bad regulat owned by the gas company.....
this occured many states away so i am sorry but lack details.
OP should call their gas supplier to get the homes gad pressure checked.
simple stuff can screw stuff up.
my step sons van broke down. he called me in the middle of the night saying it just quit. The gas gauge was flakey in that van, but he assured me it wasnt out of gas.
van got towed to garage I told the garage check to make sure it has gas..
880 bucks later with a new battery and new fuel pump, the garage gave up and said we dont know whats wrong.
hadvan towed to dealer, they were very busy. van sat for 5 days..
dealer noted gas gauge showed empty, put in one gallon of gas, van started right up....
conclusions.....
van ran out of gas, stepson and garage didnt catch that van was out of gas.
dealer was nice only charged for gasoline..
On 9/4/2014 7:40 AM, bob haller wrote:

I had two similar moments. One time I took apart a carb on a friend's car, looking for the clog. Finally noticed the absence of gasoline.
Second was when I stopped to help a guy with the hood up, in a parking lot. Truck was only a couple days old. Didn't want to start. Asked him to check the gas gauge.... add gal of gas. There was a gas station a couple hundred yards away.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/4/2014 7:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Back when I was a young 'un, I drove an old beater with an unreliable gas gauge. I got in the habit of setting the trip odometer every time I filled up and noting the miles I'd used on that tankful. I knew when I'd put about 250 miles on, it was getting close to time to fill the tank. It's now a habit. I never look at the gas gauge, I check my trip odometer.
On 9/4/2014 8:31 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I figure when the trip gets to over 100, it's time to look for gas station. Of course, if I know I'm going past the cheap gas next day, I'll let it go.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

a "mexican credit card", or your brakes started to drag, or you pulled a heavy load or had heand - all of which will cause the vehicle to run out of gas sooner than the odo would indicate.