water filters - does reverse osmosis get rid of sulfur?

hi, - i've had the reverse osmosis filter recommended to me for health reasons. our water also has a severe sulfur problem, so since moving here, about 7 years now, we've been using some sort of filter that's in the garage and requires adding bleach every month. it helps a lot but isn't perfect since every now and then some sulfur makes its way thru, and the water sometimes turns soft. plus the bleach can't be good health-wise (even tho we've been drinking only bottled water for as long as i can recall)... so i'm wondering if getting reverse osmosis filters for the taps and shower will take care of all these problems - will it get rid of the sulfur? we'll be able to drink from the tap? should it eliminate all health concerns? also how much should i expect to pay for a reliable filter? thank you, ~raine

Reply to
color_me_

recommended to me for

problem, so since

some sort of filter

every month. it

then some sulfur

soft. plus the

been drinking only

wondering if

shower will take

sulfur? we'll

all health

a reliable

Wow, I'd do some research on Google, and then talk to a few dealers aroun town, then go back to my research to see what fits with what in what you were told or were able to read in their literature. I do know that sulfur in the "gas" form and in the "mineral" form is different, and one wont' hurt but the other could, however I'm nowhere near qualified to give an answer expecially when it's w/r to a health problem. If you can't find anything at Google, come on back and I'll get you some links to visit for research. Culligan.com is one place that used to have a lot of online info - haven't been there in years though. Search for [ "well water" +sulfur ] would be my stariting point; but it may need finessing. I got over

8,000 hits and that's too many to sort thru.

Good luck!

Pop

Reply to
PopRivet

What are the health reasons? Unless there is something in your water that shouldn't be there or in the amount it is, RO water isn't going to help. With H2S in your water RO will fail if you don't pretreat it. You need to learn what type filter you have in the garage; it sounds like Pyrolox being regenerated with chlorinated water or a Culligan Super S where you set a bottle of bleach on the floor once a month. You need to have it serviced and ask a bunch of questions until you know enough to explain the thing to someone else a week later.

The bleach is not being added to your water. It is used to clean the mineral and then flushed to drain and then the filter is rinsed to assure that.

RO installs as a POU (point of use) or whole house but that type is unaffordable for a residence. POU can feed a separate faucet but not more than that plus a 'fridge and another RO faucet. If you are wanting to remove chlorine, there are shower head filters and drinking water filters but they don't filter all the water of a regular faucet and remove chlorine disinfection by-products, and that's what you should remove.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Bulletin Board

Gary Slusser