water damage from leaking dishwasher

Okay, many of you helped me with the new dishwasher I got to replace the old one. Thanks for the opinions I got. Now I have to deal with what the old one left behind.

The adjacent cabinet is rotten from water damage and mold/mildew. I never knew it was leaking until the day we saw the inside of the cabinet. The floor of the cabinet is bad and must be replaced. I can't tell if the cabinet wall is bad from the inside, but the outside wall has some damage at the footer where it contacts the floor.

I know this has to be repaired, but I don't know what materials are available to me. Also, I have a toddler running around the house, so whatever I do needs to be done from start to finish inside of a day or so. I don't want to take the countertop off, so hopefully there is a way to get around that.

Any recommendations?

Reply to
badgolferman

What can be done depends on the materials. We had a similar problem with plywood cabinets. There was enough solid left to put quarter inch material over the horizontal surfaces. It has been good for several years, in spinte of my hopes to refurbish the kitchen. TB

Reply to
tbasc

no offense, but you clearly cant fix it yourself. this leaves you two options.

you can read all the replies then start calling around for estimates, or you can just start calling around for estimates.

one takes less time.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

No offense taken. What is "clear" that I ca't fix it myself? Because I don't want to take the countertop off? Do you have a suggestion on how to fix it?

I am considering cutting a piece of hardwood and covering it up. Is that a viable alternative or should I order a Sawzall?

Reply to
badgolferman

maybe im not understanding your dilemma. i mean, you can see it. what is it gonna take to fix it?

if you are saying parts of the cabinet are damaged, i would just patch it and give it some structural reinforcement. if you are saying your wall and the footer is damaged, i would rip into that and fix it properly. there may be ways to cut enough of the cabinet away to fix it. there may not be.

maybe its possible to pull the cabinet base without taking the top off. maybe its not. you can see it, what do you think?

as to how exactly to fix it, i just dont think i would even know where to start without seeing it. nor will anyone else.

so im done guessing. maybe others will take a shot at it.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

We'd all be guessing not being able to see the situation. My biggest concern would be to get things dried out and make sure there is no mold or mildew that would continue to spread. Aside from that, the rest is speculation on my part so I'll pass on making comments.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski