Water bed heater costs a 1$ a day.

No here. They are using 8¢ a kW. Here in CT we pay about double that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That would mean it's essentially a 500W heater, running 24/7. ...sorta like my television. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Exactly-- My hot tub costs about $1/day @15cents/kWh. If it was heating 24/7 it would cost about $30/day.

Put a couple inches of insulation around the bottom and sides of that waterbed-- use a big fluffy comforter, turn the heat off in the room, and the waterbed can reduce your energy use.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I did know that. I was hoping someone with a Kilo meter would jump in and give a closer estimate. The chart was enough for me to unplug the bed anyway. No one is sleeping in it at the moment.

Reply to
Metspitzer

What you have is NOT any estimate of what it actually costs to begin with. It's like assuming a car with a 400hp engine is using gasoline at that rate all the time, whether it's going 120mph uphill or sitting in the garage.

Better disconnect your AC and electric water heater too. They use far higher and scarier amounts of electricity if somehow you ran them flat out, 24/7

Reply to
trader4

I'll bet your toaster and hair dryer use more per day. Haven't had a waterbed in years, but when we did I never noticed any difference in our electric bill

you should get a Kill-o-watt just for the curiosity factor--

That one is less than $20 -- I don't know what the difference is if you pay $8 more for the 4460-

I paid $50 6-8 years ago for mine & it has paid for itself in guiding me to the *real* thieving appliances. I've never seen one of those charts worth the time to read them.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Not sure either, but when I bought mine the difference was the more expensive one allowed you to enter your electric cost, cent per KWH and it saves it and then would display the cost of running the appliance per hour, day, year, etc. Worth it IMO.

Reply to
trader4

I guess every time someone brings up these readers, I'm confused. I still need to run the appliances even if they do suck a lot. Knowing how much they use is not going to make me feel better, probably worse:( Dehumidifier, small chest freezer & 2nd fridge in the basement, and yes a waterbed heater for almost 30 years now. Electric range & 3 door fridge upstairs. Gas water heater.

Electric bill averages about $100 per month at .12611 cents per kwh, current rate. I've installed ceiling fans in all the rooms and we are not fond of AC, so the central unit rarely runs. Living in SE Wisconsin now, but even when we were living in Las Vegas we set the AC at 78 in summer.

Reply to
Joe J

Exactly-- That's how mine paid for itself. Turned out the 8yr old fridge was using 4 times as much electricity as the 30 yr old freezer.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

This is "One Dollar"=3D"$1". This is "One Cent"=3D"1=A2".

Reply to
Bob_Villa

-snip-

My guess was there was a defrost cycle stuck on-- But somebody put a good one on sale so I didn't even try to figure out what the problem was. Replaced it and paid for the toy.

The electric bill went back to normal and the freezer lasted a few more years.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

During the winter time.. I plug my WB heater in during the coldest nights and use 2 to 3 kWh's a day. I use two layers of comfortors to keep the heat loss to the room down.

Reply to
T. Keating